Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best tripod for 8x10?

Best tripod for 8x10?

I have and Toyo-view G 8x10, and a Calumet Orbit 8x10. I would appreciate any su ggestions on what would be the very best tripod/head to use with these heavy cam eras. I just purchased a used Bogen 3050 w/ a 3057 head. I'm told its for heavy loads, but I would still like some educated opinions.

Thanks, J. J.

Best tripod for 8x10?

My Favorites are the Davis and Sanford Air and the old Gitzo Gigant 5. There is always the Saltzman if you are into overkill. One you get used to the Davis and Sanford you will find it to more or less universal. At home with medium format but not stressed with something as heavy as a 8x10 Szabad.

Fred

Best tripod for 8x10?

I use a Gitzo 1325 with the G1570M head for my 8x10. This combo supports up to 22 lbs.

Best tripod for 8x10?

I used a 3050 for many years - nice sturdy tripod, never liked the head, but 13lbs. is a bit much for what it offers. I use either a 1325CF or a Ries for all my LF photography now. For those cameras you might want to try the 1500 series Gitzo CF. It's half the weight of the Bogen and will extend higher. Unfortunately, except maybe for a Culmann Titan, nothing sets up faster than the Bogen.

Best tripod for 8x10?

I'm contemplating changing legsets, so I won't recommend one in particular, but I'm quite happy with the Gitzo G1570M head, which has an excellent sturdiness to weight ratio. I bought mine from Robert White and came in under the B&H price even with shipping and duty.

Best tripod for 8x10?

I have Gitzo 1410 legs with the 1570M head. Not too heavy and solid as a rock.

Best tripod for 8x10?

My Deardorff 8x10 sits motionless on a Ries tripod (the J-600 I think it is - anyway not the big heavy mother or the little one you disassemble to carry).

This tripod is a pleasure to both carry and to use with a view camera. The only downside is maximum extension is about 5.5 feet to the top of the head plate. But that puts my 8x10 right at eye level on level ground.

The tripod legs are completely adjustable for any odd terrain. I'm often using it with one or more of the legs in the water (shoals or rapids usually) and I'm still amazed at its ability to dampen vibrations. 10+ seconds exposures - no problem.

I also kept my Gitzo 342 legs with 3057 head for the times when I need the camera 7-8 feet off the ground, but the Ries is a much better tripod for view cameras, IMO.

BTW, the Ries head is the most user-friendly for view cameras I've ever used, but it would really suck for other cameras, I think.

Best tripod for 8x10?

I got a Manfrotto by Bogen, it's big but not huge; and has these neat clips that loosen the legs for you. You can position it in the air, squeeze the clip, and the leg shoots down to the ground and bam, you're in position.

I'm using it without a head as all the heads at the store were very unstable. I can do all the positioning I need to by adjusting the legs, and it's pretty solid.

Re: Best tripod for 8x10?

I have a Saltzman tripod which is excellent for 8x10 - it has a large table, with geared tilt and geared column. None sturdier, I dare say - however you'd better be young and fit to tote it around (which I have done on extended HABS/HAER shoots) as it is heavy. Best of all - I will shortly list this tripod for sale, as at 58 years, I'm more inclined to carry a Bogen or Gitzo for my Sinar.

Re: Best tripod for 8x10?

I've got a Ries and I like it a lot.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White