Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two hundredths of a mm short for a lens board opening

Two hundredths of a mm short for a lens board opening

Hi, I ordered a used 210 F5.6 APO SYMMAR COPAL (42 MOUNT) Looking at Grimes' lensboard info the #1 board hole is 41.8mm ; the #3 is 65.0mm

Does anyone have a 210 Symmar mounted on a #1 board because the math makes me think I'm going to have to use a #3 due to the difference of .02mm needed

Alternatively do you send the #0 board to Grimes for a 0.02mm diameter widening?

thanks Jan

Re: Two hundredths of a mm short for a lens board opening

Or you buy a sheet of emery paper and sand the hole , saving days and lots of dollars

Difference is 0.2mm - 2/10's of a mm. It will take five minutes with a curved file to take enough metal off, if necessary!

You're making a huge fuss about nothing. A #1 shutter (like for the 210 Apo-Symmar) will fit in any #1 lensboard. The manufacturers see to it to give enough tolerance in the lensboard hole that a #1 shutter will fit easily (almost sloppily IMO). Also, the people at KEH who check the incoming lenses aren't retired machinists or engineers with a digital caliper at their side. They just quickly check with a metric ruler, and sometimes you'll see a #1 shuttered lens marked as a 41 or a 43 mount. Additionally, 0.2 mm is 0.008", or about the thickness of a half-dozed sheets of paper, something you could remove with a half-round file in about 2 minutes.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

+1 to what John said above.

A copal #1 hole is roughly 42mm or 1-5/8 inches.

Yes, there will be quite a bit of clearance. Actually the lockring on the back has a shoulder that fits into the hole and fills up some of the space.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

thanks Jon for the answer Jon, Sometimes a thousandth of an inch is an issue I'll order a "0" board. I've mounted several lenses in "0" boards.

@John Schneider.. "You're making a huge fuss about nothing" that's not an answer it's a personal editorial.

@Brad, I'll take Grimes exact measurments over your roughly. I am capable of making conversions from metric measurment to imperial thanks.

That attitude towards people that were generally trying to help, especially when your question had errors in measurements wont get you far on here Jan...

If the hole and the shutter were both exactly 41.8mm you'd have a pig of a time inserting and removing the shutter...

+1 to what JRFrench said above.
    Attitude huh!

Jan don't I know you from the Leica forums?

I've mounted more than a dozen copal and compur #1 mounted lenses in Sinar, Kanham and Linhof boards and every one has mounted perfectly without filing the
    board. As mentioned there is a slight ridge on the flange designed to take up the slack. The shutter is the Grimes stated dimension but the ridge on the flange fills the gap as it is designed to do. Give Grimes a call if you need confirmation.

There's a great deal of good information on this forum with quite a number of very technical and creative photographers. I think the folks here are much more objective and less brand driven than on the Leica forum. Give folks a chance to help.

X-ray