Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Film holders: alternative to notches

Film holders: alternative to notches

I’ve read most if not all the threads about labeling film holders so you can identify individual sheets. I just want to make sure I haven’t missed an option before buying some files and notching the holders.

I want to be able to identify individual sheets. I label my holders with numbers then make notes about exposure and other camera settings. The exposed film then goes into a box (storage until I have enough to develop) or into a daylight tank to develop. Of course when the stuff comes out of the soup I have no idea what was in each holder Unless each holder had a unique image. Sometimes I shoot duplicates or change exposure or camera movements.

I think all roads lead to notching the holders or individual tray development which is not an option because I don’t have a darkroom….but thought I’d ask in case I missed something in my search.

Re: Film holders: alternative to notches

I seem to recall some film holders that had a wheel with numbers on it attached to the flap.
    The numbers were exposed onto the film when photos were taken.
    Also, there were some 'mini-dark slide things' from Japan that did pretty much the same thing, except at the other end of the holder...the name escapes me.
    I have no personal experience with either.
    Hope this helps.

The options above all impinge a bit on the image area. That's fine if you can live with that. In that case, you could simply tape some transparent film to an appropriate part of the film holder and number it yourself with a fine-point permanent marker.

Another option that doesn't extend into the image is to drill very small holes in the rail that holds down the edges of the film. As with notches, whether these show up depends on how they get exposed during the image making. If a dark shadow is over the area of holes/notches, then there's not much to be recorded on the film.

Best,

Doremus

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...Checker-Slides

I don't have the photos any more, but I think I have a few of the slides somewhere.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
    Sometimes I shoot duplicates or change exposure or camera movements... individual tray development ... is not an option because I don’t have a darkroom
    I can think of only two reasons for duplicates. The first is, you aren't confident that the first shot was exposed properly, to the point that you're re-doing the shot. In that case, you might as well discard the first shot. The second is that you shot two identical sheets of film with the intention of processing them differently. In that case, it's just as well, and in some cases necessary, to process them separately.

Differences in exposure or in camera movements should be evident in the negative. If you need to do a quick test print, see below.

I don't have a darkroom either. I have a bathroom, a kitchen and black fabric to cover a window and door cracks. They work fine, especially if there aren't a lot of sheets to process. It's also easy to make a quick contact print with two sheets of glass and a low watt bulb hanging from my bathroom's shower curtain rod.

I just number my holders sequentially, but some people like to put notches in them. I also use my phone to take a shot of the scene and record location.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

you could make some little numbered plastic tabs that attach to the ends of the flap and cover the extra little bits of image area between the flap and the ends of the film slip. they get cropped out during printing anyway, so you might as well use them for something.

Would this help ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vth20KTG98o

Best,

Cor

Using narrow and wide notches to indicate binary 0 and 1 would simplify the system and make it almost universally readable in this digital age.

Not a fan of notches or anything that ADDS DUST
    Tin Can

Photographer

I like and use the system Ralph Lambrecht put forth in his book, “Way Beyond Monochrome.”
    Keith Pitman