Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Changing box/tent/bag

Re: DIY Changing box/tent/bag

erm yeah. some people have budgets.

Paul, Keep an eye on the auction site, go for the mid size or large, and be very sure that the one you are bidding on has not begun to degrade into the gummy condition that some (like myself) have encountered.

You should be able to find one fairly soon and you'll probably pay less than the cost of materials to build a truly light tight box from the expensive plywood, paint, glue etc. that you would need to do this right.

My first one was used from the bay and it was a flawless performer as I mentioned before.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

hi Lenser,

That great, thanks for the advice. What's the gummy condition thing about?

Thanks
    Paul

Paul,

Not being a chemist, I really don't know what happened in scientific terms, but the exterior only(!) on mine (and on other's...see other threads on this site) began to degrade into a stickiness that caused the outer skin to stick together when folded and rolled up, especially for long periods of time and in hot conditions like stored in the car in the summer. Eventually, it got to the point where each time I used in, the elastic bands on the sleeves actually left black residue on my bare arms.

I want to emphasize that this was after having it and not caring how it was stored for probably eight of those ten years.

I suspect that there was some kind of chemical breakdown going on, but other than the nuisance factor, it NEVER caused a problem or any sign of a light leak including less than a month ago when I used it on a two week architectural shoot in field conditions that varied from bright sun to dim motel rooms. The 200 plus sheets of E-6 film all processed out perfectly with no sign of a light leak except for one sheet that I accidentally pulled the dark slide on while grabbing the holder from the camera bag.

I occasionally stored the tent set up in a closet and the gumminess would go away. As long as it was in a relatively cool place and the surfaces were not in contact with each other, the out-gassing or whatever was causing this was resolved.

Anyhow, after owning and using it for more than ten years, I figured the investment was very well amortized and it was time to buy a new one, which I did. If it lasts as long (and I'm quite confident that it will) it will cost me under $20.00 a year for tremendous value and complete confidence in changing film under just about any conditions.

I am going to change my habits though and try to keep this one set up during storage as much as possible, and keep it out of the car except for trips where it will actually be needed, in order to minimize exposure to harsh temperatures and from self contact due to having it tightly rolled all the time. Maybe that way, it will outlive me.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I used to change and load film in my sleeping bag with a couple of coats on it.

- Later one evening I was informed that I should not be doing anything that would make me go blind>

nn

Unless you're camping, why not make a hotel or home bathroom a darkroom? Five bucks of tape, black plastic, wadded up towels, helped along by working in the evening gloom = nicer than any changing tent. The back of a toilet or tub is probably the most dust-free, non-static surface in existence too.

Just send me a check for the $150 I saved you.

I echo the comments in favor of the Harrison tents. I have Calumet also and prefer the Harrison for the reasons already mentioned, plus the Harrison is more compact for traveling.

For the money, you will spend more in time and materials trying to manufacture your own than you will by purchasing a new Calumet tent which should be big enough for 5x7 (but not 8x10 in my opinion). In the end, you will want a Harrison anyway so I would use a dark room in the meantime and save money until you can purchase one.

Another option would be pick up the largest black film change bag you can find, they are dirt cheap if you look around, and pick up one of those wire frame windshield sun blocker, rip the fabric out and stitch the flexible wire into the black bag and voila, you have you own collapsible film change tent.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
    Hi there,

Would gaffers tape be good enough to lightproof the seams? I also have some Gorrilla brand tape that looks pretty heavy duty. ...

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Paul
    Why don't you examine it to see for yourself? Is it so difficult to find out??

Quote Originally Posted by fuegocito View Post
    Another option would be pick up the largest black film change bag you can find, they are dirt cheap if you look around, and pick up one of those wire frame windshield sun blocker, rip the fabric out and stitch the flexible wire into the black bag and voila, you have you own collapsible film change tent.

Rob
    That's a great idea! Simple and effective.