Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "First Call Can Take It ALL" My journey into a Darkroom

"First Call Can Take It ALL" My journey into a Darkroom

I will be posting several links to images of a collection of darkroom equipment and cameras I bought off craigslist here in Las Vegas. The title was in the free section and said "First Call Can Take it All!", Darkroom Equipment.

When I got there there was a table full of everything, I was just looking for an enlarger as I have ventured into 645 MF photography. Looking to work my way into LF work.

There was so much Gold there I felt guilty and almost had to beg the woman to take $100. There was 2 movie camera, 5 film cameras, an enlarger, all sorts of developers, Stainless and Paterson. There was lenses, books, boxes and boxes of Paper from 4x6 to 11x14 with names like Cachet, Seal, Kodak kodabromine, polycontrast IIIrc, Printfile. AGFA, the list goes on and on. Almost all of it is still sealed only 2 or 3 of the 20 or so packages are even opened,

There was trays and tong, timers, graduates, safelights, even some studio lights. I even got a Ziess Ikon 35mm camera called a CONTAFLEX with a box of what she called diopters, I got light meters, flash meters, LF film backs. I think I got everything except the Sinks and Chem's

First off I will only ask questions that pertain to the correct forum, This one is Darkroom equipment, So can someone please help me Identify this enlarger, The only paperwork I can find in the whole pile of things is a paper that says Brooks Enlarger. Looking on Google about Brooks I find a brand called Lucky. I want to first identify this enlarger then I want to find the book for it if possible. I want to go thru it make sure everything is properly aligned and working properly before I start wasting paper.

Without further delay here is a link to a gallery of images hosted on a sample website of mine.

Re: "First Call Can Take It ALL" My journey into a Darkroom

The enlarger is a condenser enlarger. Looks like it is for 6x6cm and smaller. I see a drawer for filters. I don't see anything to indicate this would not work just fine. You have negative carriers for 35mm and 6x6. You can use the 6x6cm carrier for you 645 negatives. You will need an 80mm lens to go with that (maybe there is one in there somewhere in a box?)

That 50mm componar enlarging lens will be OK for 35mm enlargements up to 8x10 or so.

I see a nice Graylab timer and some 4x5 film holders you will want to keep.

I think I see an aluminum SX-70 in there.

If there were a manual for the enlarger it would probably only tell the recommended bulb and show how to insert the negative carrier. Many condenser heads have adjustable condensers, I'm not sure about that one.

You can measure the size of the filter drawer and get a set of multigrade filters to go in there.

I don't see any way to align the negative stage or the lensboard. I'd just start using it and see. Do you have some 35mm negatives to print?

God bless digital. You done good.
    Go buy some film, and release the magic.

Nicholas O. Lindan

Quote Originally Posted by Tim k View Post
    God bless digital.
    It might be more a case of "God bless late husbands." They are certainly more in need of His blessing.

Then there is "Finally, I can get his blasted junk out of my house..."

How come this sort of thing never happens to me? Nice find there.

I see the old Time-Life photography books from the late '60s, early '70s in there. If he had the whole series you can learn a lot from them even today. Also Jim Stone's book on LF photography which isn't mentioned a whole lot when we talk about LF books but it's a good one. You'll need to cull some of the stuff that isn't usable any more but you'll end up with a nice darkroom. And you can't beat the cost.

Kind of sad to see something that obviously was a major part of someone's life at one time end up in the free section of Craig's list but that's life - or death - I guess.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Well, fortunately the CL poster at least felt this might have some value to someone and didn't just consign it to the trash.

Quote from ic-racer"The enlarger is a condenser enlarger. Looks like it is for 6x6cm and smaller. I see a drawer for filters. I don't see anything to indicate this would not work just fine. You have negative carriers for 35mm and 6x6. You can use the 6x6cm carrier for you 645 negatives. You will need an 80mm lens to go with that (maybe there is one in there somewhere in a box?"

The top of the enlarger has the ability to raise and lower the bulb. Below the bulb is a Black holder that holds to pieces of glass, they are both convex and are facing each other (i dont know if its ok to take this assembly apart to clean the convex surfaces) but I used a blower to get 90% of the dust off and it is above the lens so I dont think it will affect the image . Then the filter drawer is blow the two lens assy. Lastly is the output lens a Schneider-Kreuznach with a step up ring. Below are some images of the lenses that I found in the box.
    Enlarger lens with step up ring off

step up ring on

Thread size of the Unknown tele

One is a M42 Petro 55mm f1.7 so I know it isn't for an enlarger and the other is a Schneider-Kreuznach,(a Tele-Xenar f:5.5 F=18cm (cant find any info on this lens but it is neat looking) as well but it's a camera lens with a M-39 mount, again not sure as I dont have a camera to test fit it.

So the only enlarger lens I have is the Componar with a square aperture (never seen a 4 blade square aperture) this must be for enlargers.

Lastly I have a Boardermaster Easel ( not sure of the quality, says made in Japan but looks pretty cheap).

Another question before I go, The neg holders. There is a funny latch, I see where the negatives have to register on the little pegs, so I only what side is up when inserting the holder into the enlarger. I have to assume that I must turn the latch so the holder expands so the neg is against the top of the enlarger slot of for the carrier. Is that right.

Is this Pic of the holder correctly installed with latch opened, It seems this may cause some light leak in the gap?

Thanks for all the responses, as I break this package down, I plan to show pictures of each of the items that I have questions about. I really appreciate all of you guys taking your time to help me understand. I am not asking to be spoon fed, I do Google search before I ask questions, The items I found minus the easel have little to no info so I am here for help.

Oh last question I promise, Can anyone tell me the thread size of the enlarger or the step up ring, I need to the correct lens for my 645 negs. I hope all of you have a great day, I look forward to all the responses. AKf

I'd second Brian's comment about the Jim Stone book... it sure is a GREAT book to learn large format photography from.

The version shown is also printed on far better stock than the latest edition. But, the latest printing contains more digital information in it.

The Time Life series is a classic - a very worthwhile read!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!