Thread: Best B & W Paper ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Best B & W Paper ?

I'm trying out a new (to me) B & W print paper. Named for a lizard. It's GEKKO ( not GIECO) by Mitsubishi. Mitzchbitchie? Metsubitzie? Oh well, you get the idea. The blacks are blacker than anything I've used in the last 15 years. The white are more brilliant than any I've seen. I've always been dissapointed in papers t hat touted "cold blacks" and "bright whites" especially when the reality was dar k flat greys and not so whites. Dodgeing a shadow area does not give you the typ ical flat grey mud that screems, "I've dodged the shdaows." Midtone contrast is dramatically (to my eye) improved. Sharper highlight details are very apparent. Shadows are deep black. It's not just a contrastier paper. Details show very wel l.

Here's the interesting part: It's a VC/RC matte (also in glossy). Dry down to a flatter contract level is minimal, if any. It looks the same wet or dry. Convent ional wisdom be damned. If it looks good . . . use it.

And now the best part: it's the least expensive paper on the market. $35.99 (at Frestyle, Hollywood, CA). And no, I don't work there.

Anyone out there in darkroom-land have similar or opposing experiences? I'd like to hear all opinions, pro and con.

Good light to you all.

-Steve

Best B & W Paper ?

OOPS! OOPS! That's Freestyle in Hollywood.

Hey, Webmaster - how's about a spell checker.

Best B & W Paper ?

OOPS! Sorry. The price is $35.99 for a 11x14 50 sheets box.

Kevin Kolosky

Best B & W Paper ?

Even though I have not used it, the first strike for me would be that it is Resin Coated. Does in come in fiber base?

Kevin

Best B & W Paper ?

I'VE ALWAYS BEEN LEERY OF THE RC PAPERS, BUT THE QUALITY OF THE MATTE SURFACE IMAGE IS MY ONLY (CURRENT) CONCERN. I LIKE WHAT I SEE VERY MUCH. LONGEVITY IS, OF COURSE, ANOTHER ISSUE. I'D SELENIUM TONE THESE AS A NORMAL COURSE.

I'VE NOT SEEN A FB MADE BY GEKKO. I'D TRY IT ALSO, IF AVAILABLE.

ALL I'M SAYING IS, "TRY IT . . . YOU'LL LIKE IT."

REGARDS,

-STEVE

Best B & W Paper ?

I like this paper and use it for contact sheets. It is good paper and cheap. I think that I read somewhere that they do sell a fiber paper, although I have not seen this and I can't remember where I read it. I heard that Mitsubishi film is made be Konica so I wonder who actually makes the paper.

Best B & W Paper ?

I found the manufacturer's website (Mitsubishi Paper Mills Inc). There's a bit on Gekko Multi paper at:

http://web.infoweb.ne.jp/mpm/eng/kanzai/k-top-e.html

From what I can see, it's only available in RC, in semi-glossy and glossy.