Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mat size for 16 x 20 print

Re: Mat size for 16 x 20 print

My practice is very similar to Jim's. Specifically I don't used fixed sizes but mats and frames cut to fit the picture. I know this is more expensive and time consuming but for me an image that I choose to mat and frame deserves to be treated individually rather than be fitted into some standard size. Of course, if I'm preparing a set where consistency of size is a presentation constraint, for example where pictures are boxed or inserted into an album, then I'll use a fixed size.

Thanks everyone for the good guidance. I have a bit of artistic visualization to do. The idea of a wider bottom on the mat had not occurred to me. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by J D Clark View Post
    I think 20x24 appears a little cramped, and prefer 22x28. A few years ago I surveyed web sites of some well-known people that sold prints, and 22x28 was the most-used size for a 16x20 print. Bob Kolbrenner was an exception, using 24x30 mats.

I cut my own mats, but even then, when you go from 20x24 to 22x28, the prices per board go way up.

John Clark
    www.johndclark.com
    John,

Do you center your 16 x 20 images in the 22 x 28 size mat? If you offset them as recommended by some in this thread, what are the dimensions? Thanks Steve

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    At our frame shop we use a optical center formula.
    heavier at the bottom , top and sides equal.

2's and 3's
    3's and 4's
    4's and 5's

and you can go in-between

You get the idea larger print can handle larger matt but not always the clients consideration.

rarely will we dead nut center an image in a matt.

In the long run for framing a standard size will save you lots of money.
    Bob, Are the examples in your reply ratios? For example, 2' and 3's to me, mean 2 feet x 3 feet? I didn't understand how to relate this to the optical center formula you mentioned? Thanks, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    Dear Steve,

Attached is a PDF illustrating my basic requirements for any mounted and matted image, since this document hangs above my framer's work station, and where these dimensions are adhered to no matter what size the image happens to be, and although everyone makes their own esoteric choice, I use this template for consistency across all my images...

I find that my images always look balanced within a frame...

I hope it helps.

jim k
    Jim,

Thanks for posting this template, I found it very helpful. After trying to print and mat to standard frame sizes and not being quite pleased I'm back to custom frames. I also have a tendency to make my mats to large so I found your guidelines helpful.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sample View Post
    ...for a 16" x 20" print? ...what do you like?
    I've become a fan of the bottom-weighted mats since I got my own mat cutter. For 16x20 (landscape) I generally use 21x24, with 3" on the bottom. For portrait orientation, 20x25.

For my 16x20s I use frames that are 22x26. I don't mat though, I mount my prints and print on larger paper so the paper margin serves as a border. My framer makes spacers to keep the print away from the glass.

Richard M. Coda

24x28 is minimum for me. Everything else is too cramped and the ratios are off.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

I have boxes of 16x20 prints dry-mounted and window matted on 20x24. 16x20 on 20x24 suck. The only good thing about 16x20 on 20x24 was that when ants nested in two of my boxes (20 prints each), the loss of the prints did not hit me as hard as it would have otherwise.

22x28 works nicely for verticals, but the borders are not very pleasing to me for horizontals. So I do both on 24x28 for the rare times I have 16x20 prints to mount. Most of my prints are 8x10 and get matted 16x20. The 4x10's are matted 12x16.

Drew Wiley

Vaughn - for 16X20 I standardize on 22X26, which seems to work well either vert or
    horizontal, and will still fit into a conventional 22x28 box or museum case.