Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mat size for 16 x 20 print

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mat size for 16 x 20 print

What is considered the "usual" mat size for a 16" x 20" print? I used a 24" x 28" size mat and frame and it takes up to much wall space and dominates the photo. It seems that a 20" x 24 would be better?

Of course the real answer to the question is probably; what do you like? I haven't seen anything else that I can remember.

Before I re-size I will appreciate some feed back on what most of you use? Thanks, Steve

Re: Mat size for 16 x 20 print

Dear Steve,

Attached is a PDF illustrating my basic requirements for any mounted and matted image, since this document hangs above my framer's work station, and where these dimensions are adhered to no matter what size the image happens to be, and although everyone makes their own esoteric choice, I use this template for consistency across all my images...

I find that my images always look balanced within a frame...

I hope it helps.

jim k

Octogenarian

Steve, check out these 20"x24" pre-cut mats for 16"x20" prints.

They are made by Archival Methods.

I just received a package of 5 from B&H. They look very nice and are not expensive.

B&H#16202024

Steve,
    I recommend following Jim Kitchen's advice. For the very best look, avoid using stock frames as the dimensions tend to be a bit off for good proportions or they result in borders that are too narrow. I've seen many of Jim's images and I'm an admirer of the high level of craftsmanship he brings to his art.

If the dimensions that Jim's document suggests make the frame too large for your wall, adopt the same scheme of keeping the side and top borders the same and the bottom a bit wider and narrow all as appropriate - but not too much.

A better plan, where the the image and frame are too large on the wall, it is to print a smaller image for that wall and have everything, wall, frame, mat and image in good harmonious proportion, rather than having one element out of step.
    Cheers,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    Dear Steve,

Attached is a PDF illustrating my basic requirements for any mounted and matted image, since this document hangs above my framer's work station, and where these dimensions are adhered to no matter what size the image happens to be, and although everyone makes their own esoteric choice, I use this template for consistency across all my images...

I find that my images always look balanced within a frame...

I hope it helps.

jim k
    Jim,

Thanks for posting this template, I found it very helpful. After trying to print and mat to standard frame sizes and not being quite pleased I'm back to custom frames. I also have a tendency to make my mats to large so I found your guidelines helpful.

Roger

Hi Jim,

I am an artist who is finally exploring my art I am currently working in photography (facebook -- justjaninecreative). I would love to see your framing chart...that you mention in your post from May 2006! Can you share? I don't see the attachment. Thank you! Janine

+1 - thanx.

Hi Jim,

Do you still have the pdf you mentioned above, and if so would you mind sharing again? Much appreciated advice!

Doug

I think 20x24 appears a little cramped, and prefer 22x28. A few years ago I surveyed web sites of some well-known people that sold prints, and 22x28 was the most-used size for a 16x20 print. Bob Kolbrenner was an exception, using 24x30 mats.

I cut my own mats, but even then, when you go from 20x24 to 22x28, the prices per board go way up.

John Clark
    www.johndclark.com

Quote Originally Posted by J D Clark View Post
    I think 20x24 appears a little cramped, and prefer 22x28. A few years ago I surveyed web sites of some well-known people that sold prints, and 22x28 was the most-used size for a 16x20 print. Bob Kolbrenner was an exception, using 24x30 mats.

I cut my own mats, but even then, when you go from 20x24 to 22x28, the prices per board go way up.

John Clark
    www.johndclark.com
    John,

Do you center your 16 x 20 images in the 22 x 28 size mat? If you offset them as recommended by some in this thread, what are the dimensions? Thanks Steve