Thread: 16 4x5 film pack holder...

16 4x5 film pack holder...

I just bought a Busch Pressman 4x5. Along with the camera i got Bush film pack h older loaded with 16 Kodak Tri-X professional film with their respective tabs st icking out. I have no idea how this film holder works. I never heard of a film h older which holds 16 film pack in the first place. I would be gald if some one c an throw some light on this device. Thanks

I can't give a lot of help with the pack holder, but I do know that film for the thing hasn't been available for a few years now. Unless the film has been frozen - and you've got a bunch more packs equally frozen somewhere, I wouldn't get too attached to it.

From reading Jim Stone's "A User's Guide to the View Camera", it looks like you put the pack in the pack holder. With the darkslide in place, pull the first tab. Exposure 1 is ready. After each exposure, pull the tab, and it brings the next exposure into position.

In the darkroom, you'll find film sheets glued at one end to some kind of interleaving sheet. No code notches on the film, use touch to distinguish paper and film. The film is significantly more flexible than standard sheets, and slightly larger.

You are the proud owner of a Film Pack adapter, complete with a Tri-X film pack. As the other gentleman indicated, these are no longer made. They were quite popular at one time. I have used them many times. You could carry film for a full day's shooting in one jacket pocket. The film is the same emulsion and base as 120. When you pull the first tab, it removes a paper light shield and exposes the first sheet of film. As you shoot, you pull the tab and tear it off.

If they are not stuck together from sitting over the years, go ahead and shoot the pack. When you get into the darkroom, you remove the shell on one end of the pack and carefully remove the films for tray development. They will be quite limp, so go easy. When you are done you will have to make sure that no little bits of black paper are still stuck to the films when you hang them up to dry. Otherwise, process normally.

Then retire your film pack adapter to the collection shelf, as you won't be able to use it again. It is best to use a glass type neg carrier in the enlarger, since the thin base film tends to droop.

Have fun.