Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix 45n-2 Upcoming Review

Chamonix 45n-2 Upcoming Review

Hello all,

I just spent a very intense week with my Chamonix 45n-2. This was a week where I was introduced to the basics of the cameras movements, setup and operation.

During this time, I shot approximately 44 sheets of film. I say approximately because out of a total of 50 sheets:

1 - sheet was sacrificed to the "How to load film in a Film Holder Gods"
    1 - sheet was sacrificed to the "How to test the Fixer Test Gods"
    2 - sheets were sacrificed to the "You loaded 2 Sheets in the same holder God's
    and finally, 2 sheets were sacrificed to the "You forgot to stop down the Len's God's."

I did get in some very nice shots for which I am extremely happy with and the veritable, "the one that didn't get shot, or the one that got a way."

At the moment, I'm recuperating and thinking about what I'd like to say. My intent on submitting this review is to add my thoughts and experience to and hopefully constructively augment the fine review submitted by Steve Brot.

So stay tuned.

Re: Chamonix 45n-2 Upcoming Review

As in Steve's case, I'm a LF newb, so please, take my comments with a grain of salt.
    I would like to add that Steve did a fine job giving the reader a well-rounded introduction to the Chamonix 45n-2. It does not bear repeating; nor do I wish to indulge discussion of the bubble levels. During the week that I used this camera, I used the bubble levels as rough indicators, relying instead on the levels of my Manfrotto tripod and 210 jr. geared head. I had few or very minor problems with respect to leveling the camera and getting a shot.

For example, yesterday morning at approximately 6:00 am PST, I was able to setup and level both tripod and camera, install lens board and lens, focus, insert film holder and fire off 2 shots in under 8 minutes. The subject was the Pasadena City Hall shot from curbside to capture a symmetrical image of the building's facade just after sunrise. I mention this example specifically because I was 30 minutes late arriving to the site and was rushing to get a shot of the building while it was still lit by several exterior light fixtures.

I actually shot a total of 4 sheets of Pasadena City Hall. The last two were not quite as rushed but also were not quite as good as the rushed shots taken under 8 minutes. Was I lucky? - you bet! But I got the shot I was after.

I have negatives but I haven't had an opportunity to scan them (I also don't have a very good scanner).

More to come ...

Big Negs Rock!

Post your City Hall shots. I've thought about shooting it, but haven't found an angle I like. I see it almost every day.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Dave Karp

It was easier to get a good shot of it before they started putting banners across the front!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woods View Post
    Post your City Hall shots. I've thought about shooting it, but haven't found an angle I like. I see it almost every day.
    I'll try -- I don't live in Pasadena. I only spent the week there, so I'm not quite sure which direction I was facing. The street I was on, there was a small stone and red-brick church on the corner and I could see the words "City Hall" while facing that side of building. I also was able to get a nice shot of the Gamble House while I was down there.

I lived in Los Angeles area for a while before moving to the Bay Area and then the Sacramento area. I have to say, I still love Pasadena -- it's a beautiful city!

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    It was easier to get a good shot of it before they started putting banners across the front!
    I didn't see any banners. Maybe they were on the opposite side of the building from where I took the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    Hello all,

I just spent a very intense week with my Chamonix 45n-2. This was a week where I was introduced to the basics of the cameras movements, setup and operation.
    Where exactly were you introduced to the Chamonix for a week?
    There's nothing I would like more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Where exactly were you introduced to the Chamonix for a week?
    There's nothing I would like more.
    I found out about the Chamonix through this forum and bought the camera from Hugo Zhang: hugoz_2000@yahoo.com

I attended a 1 on 1 workshop with Per Volquartz: http://www.pervolquartz.com

Big Negs Rock!

Per is a wonderful person and an amazing photographer. He lives within walking distance of my house. I took a PP and Carbon Transfer workshop at his house with him and Jim Fitzgerald. A great way to spend the weekend. I ended up buying an 11x14 Chamonix to get big prints from my big camera. ;-) Hugo's a great guy too.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woods View Post
    Per is a wonderful person and an amazing photographer. He lives within walking distance of my house. I took a PP and Carbon Transfer workshop at his house with him and Jim Fitzgerald. A great way to spend the weekend. I ended up buying an 11x14 Chamonix to get big prints from my big camera. ;-) Hugo's a great guy too.
    I fully agree, Per is a wonderful person and equally wonderful and amazing photographer. I just hope I can continue to have the opportunity to learn from him in the future. He can tell you where we set up to take the shot - that is if he can stop laughing about that morning's events