Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8x10 folding camera for vintage lenses

Re: 8x10 folding camera for vintage lenses

I don't think you'll get more than around 14-16" without the extension (too lazy to go into the other room and actually measure). With my TR triple, to use the 28" requires almost the entire bed. I like to keep the block just under the seam between base and front extension - I feel like it beefs up that joint a bit. I paid $225 for mine via local craigslist - included rear extension, block, case, and it's the military version. You can sometimes pay that much at auction for one without the extension or the block - avoid those (IMHO).

Dan

Hi Bob,

Everyone here seems to be in love with the D2. Let me put in a word about the Agfa/Ansco. Yes it has a bigger lens board, but more to the point the extension is built in and slides out for use. Definitely get one marked Agfa/Ansco, as the later Ansco marketed cameras had shorter bellows and a different type of rear tilt. No, they aren't the lightest cameras in the world but aren't any heavier than the D2.

uncle jim

thank you all for your replys, I am now going to be a legit large format knob but not fully with the geek status, that will take a few years.

I just picked up a Eastman Kodak 8x10 with the back extension for use with a 450 f9 Carl Zeiss Jena. The GG is horribly dim compared to both of Tachiharas but I am excited about it none the less, processing the first films tomorrow. The old Kodaks are the way to go in my opinion, there cheap, easy to fix, and have a great deal of bellows extension. Ive been metering so that my exposures or around 1 sec and just cap un cap for exposure, seems to work well. Too bad there is no 8x10 speed graphic, I use the SG for 4x5 and vintage barrel lenses for most of my current work, now Im giving 8x10 a go and am happy with the Kodak!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I just picked up a Eastman Kodak 8x10 with the back extension for use with a 450 f9 Carl Zeiss Jena. The GG is horribly dim compared to both of Tachiharas but I am excited about it none the less, processing the first films tomorrow. The old Kodaks are the way to go in my opinion, there cheap, easy to fix, and have a great deal of bellows extension. Ive been metering so that my exposures or around 1 sec and just cap un cap for exposure, seems to work well. Too bad there is no 8x10 speed graphic, I use the SG for 4x5 and vintage barrel lenses for most of my current work, now Im giving 8x10 a go and am happy with the Kodak!
    Hi Sam

I experienced a similar issue with the GG, when comparing a Kodak to a Tachihara

My experience with the Tachi's is that the GG used is pretty bright and more so when a fresnel is added. I solved my Kodak problem by purchasing a Tachi fresnel from Mid West Cameras, so I now have fresnels permanently installed for both my Kodak and Tachi 8x10's

fwiw, my take on the Eastman and Kodak's is that they're cheap because they have fairly limited movements but that's just my opinion

andrew

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Question for you large format vintage lens geek/knobs.

Which 8x10 folding camera would you suggest to use so I can have a group of Vintage Lenses adapted to fit on the front lens board.

I really don't care about looks , weight or ebony polish , just a good working camera that could hold these lenses.

Price is a concern as well.
    I would look for a Folmer-Schwing Bob. About 10-12 years ago I used to borrow one from a friend and found it quite usable. Unfortunately when he passed away his son packed all of the gear up and moved out of state. I never knew what happened to the camera. I always wanted to purchase it.

It worked very well and the back was detachable so it could have easily been setup to do wet-plate. I wouldn't call it my dream 8x10 but it was still nice to work with once you understood the quirks of the beast.

Don Bryant