Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super Angulon 90mm.&Speed Graphic 4x5: Marriage Made in Heaven? Not?

Super Angulon 90mm.&Speed Graphic 4x5: Marriage Made in Heaven? Not?

Good point Erik on the drop bed/backward tilt issue. I know with the Crown you can turn the front 'fork' around and mount it so you now have forward tilt instead of 'backward'. Now you can't drop the bed but, as you say, I can't see the use in dropping the bed anyway! OTOH, there is good use for forward tilt. A few of these things and mainly the rotating back is what drove me to choose the Super Graphic.

Super Angulon 90mm.&Speed Graphic 4x5: Marriage Made in Heaven? Not?

Well, Gary's comments about putting the 90 mm on the hinge on the focal plane shutter models was gnawing at me, as a little wisp of a memory of maybe having to do that after all started to come back, so I went and dragged the old focal plane speed graphic out of storage and to my shame and embarrassment: Gary is absolutely right. The 90 mm lens clamps just aft of the hinge. Not a big deal, really, but there you have it. I was totally wrong when it comes to the models with the focal plane shutter.

HOWEVER, what I also noticed, TO MY HORROR, was that the bed shows in the image at infinity! What, did I never shoot a 90 mm with this camera? Did I always use a little rise (hmm, that might actually be the case, come to think of it . . ..). Anyway, I am repairing to the mountains to flog myself now. On the speed graphics with focal plane shutters, the bed does indeed show at infinity with a 90 mm angulon. So you need to drop it after all, and thus it is a good thing the lens focuses aft of the hinge: otherwise you could never focus it, because it would drop with the bed, and be thrown way too far forward even if you tilted the lens up again.

Those focal plane cameras sure are heavy, but it is awfully nice when on a budget to be able to use the shutterless tele-optars and other lenses that come in barrel. I have no use for this camera at all anymore, but I just can't bring myself to sell it. I pretend that there may be some day I need to shoot something at 1/1000 second, the high speed on the shutter. I actually used to use this camera hand-held with the 15 inch tele-optar, and shoot HP5 rated at 800 and shot at 1/1000. Made great pictures.