Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The "Worst" Photo related deal you ever made...

Re: The "Worst" Photo related deal you ever made...

Similar to Ash and Erie.

Got transferred from a land based job to a Schooner based job. At the time I was sharing an apartment with some co-workers. To make a long story short, I left some belongings in the apartment for the six months I was on the boat, my Nikon SLR and lenses being among the items left. Big mistake on a number of levels.

While I was away, my roommates "loaned out" my camera and favorite lens to a friend of theirs to do a work project for Coca Cola, his employer. Not only did I never see my camera again, despite multiple attempts, I found out they forged my name and absconded with my share of the Security Deposit on the apartment.

It's amazing what people will do to their "friends". Never understood that. Still, I try not to be cynical, and continue to trust most folks until proven wrong.

Like Brian, my worst case revolves around The f Stops Here. I cosigned a lens for sale and did not hear from them for several months despite telephone calls. I had a business trip to the area, so I stopped in the check the sale status. Turns out the lens was not in; they were renting it out! I requested it be returned when it came back. They returned it with a nice scratch on the front element and a broken shutter. In fairness, after some persuasive conversations, they did compensate me. But, I never bought from them again.

Mike

I gave away a 5x7 mint condition Durst condensor enlarger with everything to an artist run co-op , hoping they would use it, They never did and even worse they threw out the system without letting me know.
    I would like to have this enlarger now.

I got a Leica D-Lux-4 for Christmas last year. I don't care what folks say, it is not worthy of its red logo in any shape of the word.

It's starting to be a wide lens for my 11x14. I normally use rise just because the stuff around here needs it (thing which are tall and must be straight). I have a 360 f6.5 with a 494mm image circle and a 300 Rodenstock macro which claims to have a 550mm circle and still get some top corner vignetting at any aperture. I have 2 450s and both are fine but I'm a couple thousand into this wide thing without results!!

A photo critique by Cheryl Nicolai aka Cheryl Jacobs aka Cheryl Jacobs Nicolai.
    After shooting landscapes for many years I wanted some feedback on my recent potraiture. So I shipped her 19 fiber 11x14 prints (archivally processed) for review and feedback by telephone. I mailed her fee to which I added USD 25 for postage, I explained this (postage money) in an email. The critique was helpful, but-and this is the bad deal part- I never saw my prints again. I have no doulbles, had only one set. Multitude of emails and some phonecalls from my end-no satistactory response; one email, in which Cheryl asks me to send her proof that I wanted my prints returned: I re-sent her (about 8 times) the email re USD 25 for postage- no answer.
    I'll refrain from further comment.

The shared lease on a prime studio location in a chic downtown New England building with a "well-know" videographer. A thousand down for the deposit and I moved right in. Three days later, he "sold" the lease at three times the rate and told me to move out. Never did get the deposit back.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

deleted what I just wrote -- trying to put that deal behind me