Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for bellows lens shade - need recommendations!

Re: Looking for bellows lens shade - need recommendations!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    As far as I can tell, the Lee doesn't bend like that. It's really meant for movie cameras and the like.
    I have been using the Lee lens shade for almost all my pictures since I started working in LF, even when the sunlight is not directly hitting the lens. Although I have not tried "twisting" the Lee shade, it is quite flexible in terms of changing its shape and retaining it. I have never had a problem using it with camera movements.

Also, one of the little known facts of the Lee system that I use is the ability to attach circular filters to the Lee adapter ring because the ring has internal threads! This allows one to use circular filter(s) , rectangular filter(s) and the Lee lens shade (in that order) simultaneously. I do this quite often when I use a circular polarizer (the filter shape is circular, the polarizer is actually of linear type), a rectangular GND filter and the Lee lens shade simultaneously. I'm quite happy with the Lee system. If I get some down time next week, I will try to take some pictures of this setup and post them here.

// Atul

Thanks again, people - not least Frank and Atul for elaborating on technique and Lee.

I am considering this one: https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/..._detail&p=1171

... but I somehow suspect, that I cannot get away with buying that item only?

Well, I'm off to Iceland for a week of hiking and shooting - see you next sunday

I lucked out and found a Linhof compendium shade on eBay for under $100. With a small amount of effort, I was able to adapt that shade to me Sinar Norma. More details here.

The result was a lightweight, flexible compendium shade with movements. I think the same adaptation could work with other view cameras, provided there is a place on the front standard to attach the hardware used to attach the compendium.

--Philip.

The bellows lens shade I built can flow with movements of the front standard by simply using different length rod dowel on either tab of the lens shade and by rotating the shade for rise and fall. It can be adjusted for swing, tilt and rise and fall and the flocking covered front plate can accept masks with loop tape attached. It is also possible to attach a 4x4 inch filter holder to the front with the same loop tape attached to the filter holder.
    Denise Libby

jadphoto

If you use the Cokin (P) holder and filters there is a bellows shade that fits it. It is self-supporting and pretty flexible. I haven't had any vignetting problems but I don't use it all the time.

I use it with lenses from 90-400mm. I haven't tried it on my 75mm.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A. Zeichner View Post
    Here's an article I wrote describing a shade you can make that does a very effective job. http://web.mac.com/razeichner/RAZP_l...hade_pg_1.html
    Robert, I read that original article. It is helpful to any photographer. Thanks, Steve

I recently acquired an ancient Calumet bellows shade(in LN cond). I lke the built in filter holder (3"x3") and ability to angle it if necessary, also it mounts neatly with a clip-on bracket that is fairly sturdy.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Here are some pictures of the Lee lens shade attached to Fuji 450mm C. The setup is as follows, from lens to the lens shade:
    The lens
    Protective filter
    Step-up ring 72-77mm
    Lee adapter ring 77mm
    Lee lens shade

The first photo shows the setup without the lens shade.
    The second photo shows the attached lens shade when I noticed vignetting.
    The third photo shows changed shape of the attached lens shade, as the front side is pushed upwards, to avoid vignetting.

// Atul

I don't know if it fits Chamonix, but I have Toyo compendium shade which I don't use.
    Contact me if interested.
    Igor.

Thanks, Atul - that explains a lot to me!

... only thing I still don't understand is why an adapterring is supposed to cost more than 50USD!!! But, to be honest, that's not your fault