Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Yosemite: where next ?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Yosemite: where next ?

A good project and one that's long overdue is a black & white study of the John Muir Trail and the High Sierra. I think Ansel Adams was the last (and only?) photographer that did one.

I once ran into a PCT hiker whose trail name was "Color" that was doing the PCT with a pro 35mm SLR and packing a tripod in a tripod holster attached to his waist. Je said he wanted to publish a photo documentry of hiking the PCT Trail. I wonder if it ever came to fuitation?

A black & white study of the PCT is also overdue and probably never done.

Drew Wiley

Merg - a hiking and photo companion of mine has extensively photographed that
    Cherry/Kibbie drainage in medium format. His most interesting print is of a dead bear wedged between the rocks right in the middle of the creek. Bottled water,
    anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    A good project and one that's long overdue is a black & white study of the John Muir Trail and the High Sierra. I think Ansel Adams was the last (and only?) photographer that did one.
    I don't know quite what to make of this comment. The JMT, specifically and itself?

Adams' seminal treatise, "Sierra Nevada, The John Muir Trail", which was instrumental in the creation of Kings Canyon National Park included many of the range's locations not including the JMT's specific routing. I, myself, have exhibited an entire show in 2008 along the same vein - all monochrome gelatin silver prints, which I continue to work on to this day - and I am by no means under the impression that I am the only one.

Drew Wiley

Wow, thanks Ben. I'm having a little trouble getting some of the images up, so will
    have to try my office computer tomorrow. They sure look interesting. I've always tried to avoid the Muir trail myself, although there are a few section like Evolution Valley and Basin, and LeConte Can where it is inevitable. And all my own early work was in color, but now mostly black and white. One can never tire of the high Sierras.

Drew Wiley

Ben - got your site working. That shot of Lk Reflection is especially rewarding. I'd
    imagine it has generated some print sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Merg - a hiking and photo companion of mine has extensively photographed that
    Cherry/Kibbie drainage in medium format. His most interesting print is of a dead bear wedged between the rocks right in the middle of the creek. Bottled water,
    anyone?
    Not surprising. My first sight of a dead bear was on the east fork of Cherry Creek. At the time, before Cherry Dam was built, Yosemite NP dumped the "bad" bears in Cherry Valley, and the valley was classified as a Primitive Area. Construction of the dam made the valley more accessible.

One year, before the dam, we took two cars and left one at Kennedy Meadows and the other at the present dam site. We commenced to hike between the two points, the northern portion by trail, and the rest by instinct and good fortune. We were in no hurry, took about ten days and did not see another individual the last six days.

Drew Wiley

Hi Merg - my friend keeps trying to convince me to go photograph upper Cherry Cr with large format, but I'd need a year when it's not so hot when the creek is low enough to be safe. I'm not very well heat conditioned with my heavy pack anymore, and prefer higher altitudes. That shortcut across Kibbie and into the creek is only about 6000ft, so pretty hot and dry at the end of June. I did a little exploratory 4WD
    and hiking in the vicinty this past June, but that was when snowdrifts were contiguous everywhere above 7000, and runoff in the drainages below still quite
    hazardous.

Wood cameras are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post

I once ran into a PCT hiker whose trail name was "Color" that was doing the PCT with a pro 35mm SLR and packing a tripod in a tripod holster attached to his waist. Je said he wanted to publish a photo documentry of hiking the PCT Trail. I wonder if it ever came to fuitation?

A black & white study of the PCT is also overdue and probably never done.
    I'd like to see this and examine changes in the landscape!
    Staff Photographer - The Ansel Adams Gallery
    Yosemite National Park, CA
    www.mikereevesphotography.com