Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When will a new Mac Pro arrive?

When will a new Mac Pro arrive?

There are many rumours, and Apple is always tight lipped, but just in case, has anyone heard anything definate,or at least plausible,as to when the next gen Mac Pros will be released?

Re: When will a new Mac Pro arrive?

Keep an eye out on this site....
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro

Evidently the chips are not avail. in sufficient quantity yet, and that is the holdup. Can't imagine it will be too much longer. I am waiting to buy myself.

Gentlemen,

My sources indicate that sixteen cores will be within the next box, along with all the bells and whistles...

jim k

Great, all I need now. Looking at replacing my (2006) PPC with a Mac Pro, and getting everything down to order one, and now this, a newer one. The question is if they'll drop the price on the current models?
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Scott, up to now Apple has never lowered the price on current or (very soon to be) obsolete models. They do provide refurbished machines though that are a bit less pricey and covered under full warranty. Check their website.
    The store people usually do not find out there is a new product until FedEx delivers the product to be put out on display that night!

Quote Originally Posted by msk2193 View Post
    ...The store people usually do not find out there is a new product until FedEx delivers the product to be put out on display that night!
    Thanks. I stopped by our (new) local store to ask about configuring a Mac Pro and outside of basic stuff (memory and HD's), much of which anyone can do, they can't or won't set one up for you. They pretty much advise you to buy it on-line and bring it in if you have the one-to-one service and have questions or problems. After that I only wanted to know the best way to transfer all my files and applications to the new Mac.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Knowles View Post
    Thanks. I stopped by our (new) local store to ask about configuring a Mac Pro and outside of basic stuff (memory and HD's), much of which anyone can do, they can't or won't set one up for you. They pretty much advise you to buy it on-line and bring it in if you have the one-to-one service and have questions or problems. After that I only wanted to know the best way to transfer all my files and applications to the new Mac.
    Sometimes Amazon sells new Apples below their suggested retail price.

There are cheaper options for memory and storage:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memor...ry#1066-memory

A new Mac Pro will be introduced shortly after you buy one.

I bought mine as a refurb, though, so didn't feel bad at all having saved several hundred dollars (and several hundred more buying more memory from a 3rd party)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Knowles View Post
    I only wanted to know the best way to transfer all my files and applications to the new Mac...
    Dear Scott,

OSX has a feature to transfer old files to the new Mac, as long as you have OSX 10.1 running on your older unit, and where you must activate the transfer during the startup of your new Mac, via Firewire. If you do not have that OS running on your older Mac, then you can transfer all your files to an external HD and import them onto the new Mac at your leisure...

You could touch base here, for a few answers: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3322

I always do a clean software install, and I always uninstall important software from the older computer first, but the migration assistant does work well. I would not hesitate to uninstall any Adobe software from the older Mac prior to the transfer to the new Mac. The uninstall process will short circuit any potential reinstall issues with Adobe software going forward, because Adobe software always, always makes a phone call home to check the computer's ID.

Contact me directly, if and when you think you are going to have an issue, or might have an issue with the process.

jim k