Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enlarger Advice

Enlarger Advice

I'm diving into large format photography. I finished putting together most of what I need for a darkroom and I posted an ad looking for a 4x5 enlarger for $200. There are some for sale locally but the $500-700 asking prices are a little high, I feel. I had lots of replies from various people who didn't even know what 4x5 film is (including one lady who gave me a free Durst F30 enlarger last night) but there's a promising fellow I'm going to see this weekend.

He's the organizer for a church garage sale and said it's a Beseler colour enlarger; it belongs to the parishioner who acquired it for $600 a few years ago but is willing to let it go for $200. It's supposedly "worth $1800" but that doesn't mean much, I don't think. IF it turns out to be a 4x5 enlarger, what should I be watching for? $200 sounds like a pretty good price for a Beseler 4x5, if it pans out, but what should be tested to work properly before I take it home? I'm trying not to get my hopes up but if I take home a computerized colour Beseler enlarger for $200 I'm going to crap my pants haha.

Re: Enlarger Advice

You sure are.

If it is the older 45XL, I'd check to see if the motor works, first thing. Apparently they go bad, and there are no parts (according to someone I bought some parts from). The new version's motor does not fit. You can use the fine adjustment knob, but that would take forever.

Light source: if it is the condenser head, make sure the lenses are in good condition. See if you can pick up the negative carriers as well. You can easily spend another couple of hundred trying to pick those up on ebay. Enlarging lens, lenboard or turret (again, if you have the old 45, the turret won't fit).

And bring a friend. That sucker is freaking heavy, no matter which one it is. Also, tools to break it down.

Quote Originally Posted by David de Gruyl View Post
    You sure are.

If it is the older 45XL, I'd check to see if the motor works, first thing. Apparently they go bad, and there are no parts (according to someone I bought some parts from). The new version's motor does not fit. You can use the fine adjustment knob, but that would take forever.

Light source: if it is the condenser head, make sure the lenses are in good condition. See if you can pick up the negative carriers as well. You can easily spend another couple of hundred trying to pick those up on ebay. Enlarging lens, lenboard or turret (again, if you have the old 45, the turret won't fit).

And bring a friend. That sucker is freaking heavy, no matter which one it is. Also, tools to break it down.
    Thanks for the advice on the tools, motor and carriers. I've seen pictures of various beselers but never any to scale showing how large they are. I'm guessing the guy can help me load it in the car and there'll be people to help me unload it at home. Thanks for the help.

There are two modern vintages of Beseler 4x5 enlargers. They include the 45MXT and the 45VXL.

The 45MXT is much smaller, much lighter, has a motorized carriage elevation.

The 45VXL is a beast with a massive and tall center column. You want to make sure you have a tall enough ceiling for it. I consider it a two man job to move that one.

There are 4 light sources. The condenser head is the most basic and suitable for B&W. The computerized color head is for color and B&W but the circuit boards apparently faiil too often and are not repairable. The Dichro 45S is the best one in my opinion because it is reliable, commonly available, easy to use, and behaves nicely with an f-stop timer. The last option is a Universal light source which is much more technologically advanced. It is a closed loop system with its own timer, push button controls, and separate controller units for use as a color or variable contrast B&W system. Very nice but I don't think it works with an f-stop timer which I find indispensable.

Both enlargers take the same negative carriers which are easily available used. The 4x5 Negaflat carrier is excellent.

For a small darkroom, the 45MXT is a nice choice. Beseler also made a drop table for it.

A couple of other thoughts:

If it is the larger 45VXL, it is very awkward to move with the baseboard attached. Don't let anyone try to hold it by the carriage (which can be bent). Hold it by the baseboard and column only.

I would avoid using the 3 lens turret. It will not hold 150mm lenses with larger sizes and I found it impossible to align.

The 45M series are very sturdy and quite heavy. As mentioned check the motor function and condensers. A color version might just mean it has the filter drawer,
    not a dichroic head. Please let us know how it turns out.

My Beseler 45VXL sits on an old heavy metal desk that is 29in high and the top of the column has 4in of clearance between the top and the 8ft ceiling and I can make 24X30 inch prints on the baseboard with a 135mm lens. I don't think the column height will present any problems but the enlarger is truly massive and moving it is definitely a two person job.
    Denise Libby

If the light source is a Beseler-Minolta 45A, beware. This head uses 7 flash tubes: a white one for composing and focusing and two each for the red, green, and blue filters.

When working they are a delight to use. It is computer controlled and throughout the exposure cycles multiply through the six colored flashes in sequence according to the color settings on the programmable controller. This makes it a bit tedious for dodging and burning, although the flash sequences can be slowed down to perform these tasks.

The flash tubes have not been available for, I would say, over five years. When they were available they were over $50 each, which is why I never carried many spares. If this happens to be the light source, consider it a throwaway. I retired the second head I owned about a year ago because I was out of spare tubes. My first 45A began acting erratically until it finally fried the circuits in the controller.

It may work for you on a temporary basis, but unless there are a lot of spare tubes, sooner or later you will need to find another light head. This would make the system worth say, $100-150, providing it still comes with lenses, negative carriers, etc.

I believe that the other light sources are still available new, and on occasion they also come up on the internet.

Good luck,
    al

Quote Originally Posted by al olson View Post
    If this happens to be the light source, consider it a throwaway. ,
    I'd think one could adapt one of these lamps:
    http://www.perkinelmer.com/CMSResour...inal071004.pdf

Worth $1800.....

I always kinda laugh when people get confused about what something cost twenty years ago and what it is worth today. These people do not seem to realize that many of these old, big, "professional" enlargers, etc are being given away - if not thrown away.

$200 sounds like a lot for a Beseler 45 - unless it comes with lenses, lens boards, negative carriers a light source and, of course, it all works! Absent any one of these, it is a give away item. I have had to give away two of 'em in the last year....but, I guess things may be different up in Canada, eh.