Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you scan?

How do you scan?

I'm relatively new to large format, having recently begun using a Chamonix 45n-1. Took it and lots of film on a recent trip to Morocco and Scotland, and now have a significant amount of film to scan.

I've searched and searched, but can't find a thread where people document how they scan their large format negs/transparencies. I have an Epson V750, which I plan to use with Vuescan. I could also use also use Silverlight Ai, but I've been using VueScan with my Nikon 5000 for a while. The problem is there are so many variables in scanning.

So, my question: How do you scan? What software do you use? What resolution do you scan 4x5 at (assuming file storage is not a consideration)? What is your scanning process? Any specific settings you've found that lead to better results? And, most importantly, why have you made the decisions you've made with respect to your scanning process?

Know this could be too in-depth of a question, but thought I'd throw it out there...to help me and others that follow.

Cheers, and happy shooting!

Jeff

Re: How do you scan?

Find the ideal height to suspend the negative over the scanner. It can range from 0-3mm (or so) above the glass.

If you're shooting BW, find out which channel gives the best results. It'll probably be the green channel. If so, you can set Vuescan to make the BW image from the green channel.

Make sure to scan in 16-bit per channel mode.

Scanning above 2400 spi will probably not give any useful info with your scanner, but check for yourself.

Make sure not to clip any data.

I prefer not to sharpen in the scanning software, but others do so.

I use different equipment and software then you do, and my exact workflow won't be useful for you. Maybe those with your scanner and software can be more specific.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I can add to Peter's comment- scan raw files in Vuescan if you have the space. That way you can go back and mess with scanning settings by scanning the file. You can also open the raw file in Photoshop if you scan as a raw DRG format.

Talking Re: How do you scan?

I have an Epson 4870 Photo. I discovered that it gives exactly the same thing scanning as color neg or bw, so I scan as BW neg. The green channel in my scanner doesn't give more. I put the output sliders at 0 and 255. The input sliders I leave a little wider than the histogram on both ends. I discovered 3200 ppi gives me more detail, or at least the same detail but more clearly, than 2400. I scanned a step tablet and realized scanning as a positive is a no no. I turn unsharp mask off and do my sharpening routine in PS.

Those black plastic things that come with the scanner called film holders are useless, at least in my case. Some say betterscanning has great holders. I have not tried them, so I don't know.

What I did was a series of height tests. I started laying the film flat on the glass, then put it one a thin cardboard with a window that raised the film slightly, the put another, and so on. Double card thickness is the sweet spot focus-wise in my scanner. Works pretty well and I get decent scans.

There is so much info on a well done 4x5, that you can spare some of it and throw it away with a flatbed desktop scanner. It is a good compromise for me, otherwise going up in scanner quality would mean spending several thousands of dollars more, which I would rather spend in front of the lens, not behind.

My 2 cents.
    Sergio

My website

All that advice is fine, but if you dont know how to scan then what good is it? Go to Ken Lee's sitesite for an article on how to use your scanner with epson scan. That is how I learned to scan. Sadly I still havent read the epson manual. I have found epson scan difficult with the betterscanning holder but fine with the epson holders which can be moved up and down to get the correct focus using some plastic feet supplied in a bag. Dont get fixated on scanning, you can spend mega bucks on it, but look at all of Kens wonderful scans done with the simplest tools.

David

I use Epson V700 with Epson Scan and very rarely Vuescan. I might use Vuescan more if I had the pro version. Silverfast gives me hives...

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    I have found epson scan difficult with the betterscanning holder but fine with the epson holders which can be moved up and down to get the correct focus using some plastic feet supplied in a bag.
    David
    I am confused by this comment. One of the main features of the Betterscanning holder is that it has small nylon screws that one can use to adjust the height of the holder over the glass plate to place the film at exactly the right focus. Does your holder not have these nylon screws?

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I would suggest using Vuescan Pro, The license allows the software installation to be used on any scanner you have attached to your computer.

If you've been using it you should know your way around. Very capable software.

And pro is not much more than standard version.

bob

For scanning B&W negatives the Epson scanning application does everything I want and is very easy to use. I have used both Vuescan and Silverfast but for scanning B&W negatives I have not found that they work any better than the Epson software that is included free with every V700 or V750.

For color I really don't know because while I use a lot of color film it is nearly alway with the intention of converting to B&W.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

The professional section of the Epson software is very capable and I haven't had a reason to use anything else. The Home and Auto sections are not worth the time and they are setting deficient. I ahve done 48 bit color scans of b&w negs and 16 bit b&w scans results are very similar. I scan 4x5s at 1800-2400ppi. I don't go over 3200 ppi with my V700 even with small negs.

Tom