Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with 8x10 splitter - ideas?

Problem with 8x10 splitter - ideas?

Hi, all -

Made a splitter from an 8x10 darkslide today. I've made and used these before with no problems; I'm baffled as to what happened today:

The holder hasn't ever shown leaks before, and the splitter fits nicely. Ideas what's going on here?

Scott

Re: Problem with 8x10 splitter - ideas?

Is it possible the light trap mechanism where the slide is inserted is somehow "lifted" across the whole width (or at least more than the 1/2 width) when the split slide is inserted?

I don't know how you fabricated the 1/2 slide but years ago when I wanted 1/2 slides for testing I made sure to only remove material back to the edges of the actual "film window" in the holder. This ensured, when the half slide was inserted, a full-width portion was engaging the light trap.

Dave

Hi, Dave -

Yeah, that's how I made them - the cutout is only in the film gate. It seems clear that the leaking is coming during exposure of each side (contaminating the other side), but I've never had this problem with splitters before. I are, corn-foosed...

Scott,
    Sure looks like a light leak. What is causing the bright spot in the lower right of the top image, that's not present in the bottom image? Any clue there?

The cause is not obvious to me, either. My first thought was lens flare--that's a mighty shiny truck. Also, I've had a problem a few times removing my dark cloth and having a loose thread catch on one of the pins, pulling the spring back slightly open.

What about the lens and lensboard--anything new or different? Bellows okay?

If you can't find anything obvious wrong with the holder, split slide, camera, bellows, or lens/lensboard, then try shooting a test sheet and see if the problem persists. If not, it must have been a one-off problem.

Coming from a corner, by the shape of it?

Okay, I setup a test today: Shot one side with the splitter, developed the film and checked for light infiltration to the screened side. It's been raining all day, so I set up a flower, and shot the 16:10 exposure:

Yeah, I have a problem with agreement between the masking on my ground glass and what the splitter is actually doing. But, from this admittedly questionable test, the splitter worked fine. Next test will be shooting it outdoors in daylight to see if it happens again or not. Maybe I pulled the holder out a little when moving the darkslides around...

Damn, that was a fast test shot--12 min! Must be using one of those rapid developers...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    Damn, that was a fast test shot--12 min!
    Shot this morning. Just got around to scanning...

Ash, you may be right. I'll try with another holder on the next round of test shots. May take the kids out for a hike tomorrow...

Are you sure on the day in question you didn't just acidentally pull the spring back and entire darkslide unit away from the camera slightly when inserting, or more likely removing, the splitter board? Depending on the strength of the springs on your camera back it's quite easy to di, especially when stood behind the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_whatever View Post
    Are you sure on the day in question you didn't just acidentally pull the spring back and entire darkslide unit away from the camera slightly when inserting, or more likely removing, the splitter board? Depending on the strength of the springs on your camera back it's quite easy to di, especially when stood behind the camera.
    Yeah, Dave - you're likely right. Time for another test, eh?