Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest "steal" you ever made...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Biggest "steal" you ever made...

Mine happened just yesterday. They just come once in a while. I'm, as some of you might know, a 100% analog guy but...

I couldn't resist to buy EPSON Stylus Pro 7880 with another sets of inks and two rolls of paper for......$1,500!!!!!!! Now, I need to learn to operate that beast!

I'm doomed, the digital just snapped me
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Photograsaurus Rex

Re: Biggest "steal" you ever made...

Good Find! We've got an old "retired" color plotter back in our storage room at our office that i'm thinking of purchasing from the firm to give them some "much needed storage space" back.... *devious grin*

lol, don't worry about going digital right now, it's too fast of an evolving market to really be able to economically get into it and not have outdated equipment in less than a year.... just buy a great scanner and be done with it.

Contax 139Q with winder, 21mm, 35mm, 50/1.2, 100-200zoom (all Zeiss)TLA flash, Sekonic L-398a meter Tiltall tripod and a Pelican case for $80 (in 1995)
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

8x10 Kodak 2D in original and perfect operating condition, lensboard, 8x10 back, 5x7 back, extension rail, tripod block, (4) 8x10 filmholders, and (10) SS process holders for $150 three years ago.

Just waiting to be developed..

I wouldn't call this a steal but i did pickup an Ilford ICP42/IWD42 a few months ago for $250.
    I know it sounds a bit high but it was in perfect condition with a ton of chemistry and accessories.
    A few weeks ago i also picked up a Durst L1200 enlarger with a CLS 501 color head from one of my partner labs.
    It came with a bunch of lenses, femo boxes, femo masks and a timer.
    I just screwed it into the wall last weekend and leveled it this weekend. They let me borrow their laser leveler, that turned into a few hours of pulling, twisting and yelling.
    But its ok now and the price was good for me at $250.

I did come across 2 dicomed digital backs, 2 vidiscence light panels and a bunch of other gear last year. It was from a friend that let me have it if i moved it out.
    It was really cool of him and i did get the dicomeds working sort of. Scanning backs are really touchy but its still on the list of things to play with more.

In 2008 i found out about a local printing shop that was in receivership and i bought their photo studio out.
    They only had a small lighting setup and the camera were long stolen. I came out with a profoto Acute 2 2400 with 2 heads and a bunch of stands, reflectors, softboxes, autopoles, spectrophotometers, dymo printer and a lot of other stuff. All for $560.
    That was probably my only really good deal but i felt so bad for the factoring guy that was trying to get some of his money back.

I wish i could find one of those honey holes for old lenses or cameras but i haven't seen much of anything at garage sales or antique shops around here.
    Its a fun game to play when the opportunity comes, i just wish it came more often!
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

Minolta XD-11, black body, with 58mm f1.2, minty, $9.99 at a local thrift store, stacked among the plastic P&S detritus. That was nice. I also bought a Pentax digital spot meter in perfect working condition (once the battery was installed), for $25, from a local pawn shop. The list is long, and I hope it continues!

DeVere 504 with an Ilfospeed head, mixing boxes, lensboards and film carriers..$50.00..Evan Clarke

10x10 Durst enlarger with Aristo & color heads with an array of Schneider & Rodenstock lenses from 360mm down to a 50, a large fiberglass photo sink and a shit ton of RC papers all for the cost of having it moved into my house ($200). Plus a whole list of items that were given, the best being a Chromega D with timer and a Zeiss Biogon 75.

One that comes to mind is an old metal Toyo View half plate camera I bought here for a c-note. Cosmetically it was one of the nicest I've seen. The only issue it had was the bellows came unattached; they needed to be re-glued to the frames. Toyo used a specific cement, which was little tough to find, but once I found it ($6) I glued the bellows on and now it's one sweet camera. I love using it. But then I like fiddling with old things...

Brian

Kodak half plate field camera for £20
    Beseler CB7 complete for cost of petrol (£40)
    Calypso 35mm underwater camera, early version as a birthday present (free)