Thread: LowePro Pro Trekker 400AW Review

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

LowePro Pro Trekker 400AW Review

Last Saturday was the first day that I used it and although I hand carried my tripod instead of attaching it to the pack, it's far more comfortable to wear than its predecessor the AWII although by switching the Technical Field Camera (6.1 lbs) from the bottom to the top of the pack may account for some of that comfort.

The interior dimensions are slightly different between the two and, although I didn't do the math, are probably a wash. For example, the depth of the 400 is greater than the depth on the AWII. The greater depth allows me to place the same gear items in the pack without it pushing outwards on the rear panel and thereby creating tension on the zipper.

There are now 4 interior see-thru zippered pockets on the back panel, instead of the AWII's 3, and 4 Velcro pockets for memory cards. Since I don't have present use for the latter, this translates to less interior pocket space for me than with the AWII but that is more than offset by the two zippered pockets on the packs hood which also detaches and serves as a day pack. And one of those pockets contains a key lantern to secure your keys and attach a thermometer. There's even a safety whistle incorporated into the sternum strap and compression straps on the bottom for attaching items like a tent or sleeping bag.

The cons so far? Well it does takes longer to get inside as there are more straps (7 without the tripods) to unlock before getting to the zipper and the drop-down tripod holster, although made of heavy duty fabric, may wear-out under heavy use with the type of tripod that I carry (a 5lb series 3 Gitzo). But the straps - all of which are the compression type - only serve to make the pack more secure and as far as the tripod holster I'll be looking into the possibility of attaching a Gitzo Tripod Holder for Series 3 tripods.

All in all, the Pro Trekker 400 AW is constructed very much like a high quality backpack that has been customized for the photographer that carries a lot of gear. In fact it's very similar to my Gregory Reality backpack which has seen heavy use for 15 years now with only the sternum strap needing to be replaced.

If you're looking for a well made pack to carry a lot of gear, it will be well worth your time to check this pack out. They even make a larger model - the Pro Trekker 600AW.

Thomas

Re: LowePro Pro Trekker 400AW Review

I use the Pro Trekker 600aw for my 8x10 (a deardorff, 2 lenses, 4 film holders, tripod) set up and love it. It is very well made and handles 50 lbs very well.

Can you include a photograph of the pack? Or, maybe provide a link?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Can you include a photograph of the pack? Or, maybe provide a link?
    Here's a link to B&H which has the pack in stock. You can also check it and the 600 out live at better photo stores.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_400_AW.html

Here is my pack as it was being used yesterday. Inside are P67II with 6 lens (45mm to 165mm), A Lee 4x4 filter case with about 10 filters, 6 4x4 glass filters, Pentax spot meter, Toyo loup (My AX was in the trunk yesterday), cable release, cleaning kit, extra batteries, etc.

Although weighty with all the above gear inside, this pack carried it much more comfortable than its predecessor the AWII.

Thomas