Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Any Thoughts on NEC P Series Monitor?

Re: Any Thoughts on NEC P Series Monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by SAShruby View Post
    At luminous landscape there is a discussion that LCD doesn't perform to their maximum at low luminance levels. They suggest higher luminance. Apparently, higher luminance of LCD has no effect on the final print, you need to compensate with the higher luminance of your light booth, and supposedly it has nothing to do with brightness/darkness of the print.
    Re-read http://www.shutterbug.com/techniques...om/0809prints/ posted by Ken Lee and discussion about required contrast ratio being only upto 400:1 for image editing prior to printing. Your monitor goes upto 1000:1 with 300cd/mē so it's a lot more than required.

Note that the top of the range EIZO for image editing, which costs a lot more money, only goes to 400:1 contrast ratio and the thing is optimised with even lighting across the screen. It's max brightness is 200cd/mē. I spoke with EIZO UK about one of their new monitors and they told me most imaging professionals set to between 80 cd/mē and 110 cd/mē which confirms what the above link says.

That's right. To lighten up your prints in a brightly lit booth - in order to match the monitor - may be a confused approach.

Consumer monitors are not designed to match paper white in the average office or gallery. Instead, they are designed to be brighter than paper white, so that people can comfortably surf the web, read their email, etc. This makes them ill-suited for judging images that will appear at paper-white brightness.

Having studied the subject and metered a variety of lighting conditions, I set my monitor to 80 cd/m2. Elsewhere on this forum, Jim Kitchen mentioned that his Eizo monitor is only warrantied to be accurate, at 80 or below.

That value just happens to be paper-white in the average office. It's no coincidence, since high-end monitors for the graphics and print industry, are made to work with graphics and print, where white is... paper white.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    That's right. To lighten up your prints in a brightly lit booth - in order to match the monitor - may be a confused approach.

Consumer monitors are not designed to match paper white in the average office or gallery. Instead, they are designed to be brighter than paper white, so that people can comfortably surf the web, read their email, etc. This makes them ill-suited for judging images that will appear at paper-white brightness.

Having studied the subject and metered a variety of lighting conditions, I set my monitor to 80 cd/m2. Elsewhere on this forum, Jim Kitchen mentioned that his Eizo monitor is only warrantied to be accurate, at 80 or below.

That value just happens to be paper-white in the average office. It's no coincidence, since high-end monitors for the graphics and print industry, are made to work with graphics and print, where white is... paper white.
    80 is the lowest I've heard but if it works for you it works. I set mine at 110 and that works for me. Obviously this is something that differs from one person to another.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

110 and 80 are quite close.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Elsewhere on this forum, Jim Kitchen mentioned that his Eizo monitor is only warrantied to be accurate, at 80 or below.
    Setting brightness up high reduces the life of the monitor. The EIZO 5 year warranty is invalidated if you run it above a set level for that monitor. For some of them it is 80 and for some of them it is a bit higher. They are all capable of much higher. Eizo recommends running all its monitors below 100. Don't know if that is to make em last longer or for best colour accuracy. Probably both.

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

I found this article quite helpfull. It also describes all aspects of setting the environment.

BTW, P221W has almost Adobe 1998 gamut.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Preston Birdwell

I just wanted to hop in again and offer my thanks to all who contributed to this discussion.

The information you provided has been quite valuable.

Many thanks,

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    I just wanted to hop in again and offer my thanks to all who contributed to this discussion.

The information you provided has been quite valuable.

Many thanks,

--P
    So how's it driving?

Don Bryant