Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z3200 size negatives now?

Z3200 size negatives now?

Saw this note over at Rob Galbaith's page about some new software to make large negatives from a Z3200 for analog printing techniques. I was familiar with doing it on smaller printers such as an Epson 2200 (which I have done myself). But has anyone else been doing it on the larger printers? Or is this something new?

Anyway.. here is the link: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...=7-10053-10768
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

Re: Z3200 size negatives now?

Quote Originally Posted by Aahx View Post
    Saw this note over at Rob Galbaith's page about some new software to make large negatives from a Z3200 for analog printing techniques. I was familiar with doing it on smaller printers such as an Epson 2200 (which I have done myself). But has anyone else been doing it on the larger printers? Or is this something new?

Anyway.. here is the link: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...=7-10053-10768
    Thanks for posting the information. It is great to see that HP is getting into this niche market. To this point Epson has been the printer of choice for most photographers making digital negatives for printing with analog processes but Epson has not been very helpful in developing specific products and software for the market. The result is that one can easily get lost in the details of the various "methods" out there for making digital negatives.

If HP can offer software and products that makes producing digital negatives easier there is a good chance that they can become a serious competitor with Epson for this market.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I have another thread going about 24 inch printers , and this unit looks very promising for our usage alongside our lambda negatives.

i have an HP z3100 printer, and using the current methods (PDN), I get excellent negatives from it I haven't tried silver yet.. but the platinum is smooth, with no banding or dither patterns in the print

How exciting! It's interesting that HP chose to use green and black inks, just like pyrogallol-stained negatives. It seems whatever the source of the digital file, the output is always a simulated pyrogallol-stained digital negative.

Getting negatives this large is not a problem, I can print 40" x 60" negatives on an Epson 9900--the trick will still be getting appropriate paper large enough to print your alt on, imo.

Has anything emerged from this ?

My z3200 arrived yesterday.. i have the profiles for the digital negatives, and will start playing around. (They offer both platinum & silver profiles)

ok. Z3200 is up and running

with my z3100 (and my Epson 7600), the correction curve I'd get through testing was something like

(this was the first pass thru Chartthrob after figuring out best color & highlight point)

Even using 16bit images, it was a struggle with the shadow and highlight values an posterization... this being a very aggressive curve.

Using the HP digital negative paper profile (thank you Angel!!!!) ,the first pass through was

I then printed a image that was always difficult.. could never really get it right (very subtle shadows/low values)

Only problem now is.. buying the platinum/palladium to print the images I was never able to before!!

jim

first print from an HPz3200 negative. (no trial.. this was the first attempt)

Cesium Palladium print