Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towns with interesting Main Streets in Las Vegas area

Towns with interesting Main Streets in Las Vegas area

Howdy,

I'll be in Las Vegas March 21-26 for the Society for Photographic Education conf erence, and might have time to cruise around and shoot. I am interested in towns with distressed, "authentic" main streets (don't have to be called Main). Anyth ing within two hours of Vegas? Any opinions on the Main Street of Vegas, Fremont Street? I'm shooting color but I don't mind dead color.

"Dead color"???? what an interesting choice of words; a contradiction of terms, in my book. if you're talking about low-saturation color, then a look at almost any Andrew Wyeth painting will confirm that those colors are alive and well. Maybe a trip to Iceland would help; that landscape abounds with some of the most beautiful color on the planet, all quite close to the gray end of the saturation scale.

~cj (Seattle)

" Dead Colour" - I thought that was black and white? Great term actually

tim
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Everywhere you look in Las Vegas you find "Dead Color"... "Dead Color" pulling slot machines hours on end..."Dead Color" clearing hangovers in the AM...

The whole town is Dead!!! So why not shoot images of the nightlife - from a new perspective = "Dead"...???

Hi Sandy...

sorry.. but you won't find "authentic" main streets anymore in "Los Wages".. everything is steel and concrete with "family attractions".. do you mean "dead color" = unsaturated color?... you may have better lucks with little towns about a hundred miles from there...anyway..the Valley of Fire is a good place if you like landscape...

ohhhhh BTW watch out for the "one arm bandit"

I haven't been there in two years but the old part of Kingman, a town that is about an hour south of Las Vegas on Rt. 93, had a few streets like what you describe. Jerome and Prescott, both another hour or so south in Arizona, also have areas that should likewise fill the bill.

The old Fremont St. has turned into "The Fremont St. Experience" with a light show every hour. It has it's charm, you might say, but not what I suspect you're looking for.

Hi Sandy, Tonopah's probably too far north, about 215 miles, but we have a great old Main St. Here's an address for a picture, but it's rough so give me the benefit of the doubt. Just shot an 11X14 print with the little Ebay camera! http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/tonopix/tonopahmain_1.jpg And here's a revved up version done during a street dance last July; http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/tonopix/tonopahmain_2.jpg Gives you an idea. Goldfield NV. is also on the way about 26 mi. south of us, and has a "truly deserted" main street, as the highway runs perpendicular to the old Main St. where the famous Goldfield Hotel is.

Some of the old Nevada towns within a couple hours drive can be interesting. Try Beatty. Nearby is Ryolite~~a ghost town where the color may not be dead, but . . . You should be able to find a ghost town map and guide in Las Vegas (see http://www.cal- neva.com/ghosts/ghosts.htm).

Good luck.

multiplex

hi sandy

you might contact the shpo (state historic preservation office(er)) for nevada. they might be able to point you in the right direction for towns/villages/cities with old decaying central business districts within 2 hours of vegas. (old decaying = still authentic, run-down, not turned into a theme park).

best of luck