Thread: New (sort of) and saying hello

New (sort of) and saying hello

Hello all, greetings from the flat, field-heavy East of England.

I've been lurking a bit recently but thought it might be good to appear, ninja-like from the shadows and say hello.

Background wise, I'm a camera tech working at a University, that uses mainly digital SLR's with our students, as part of the job I've got a fair bit of experience with a Sinar studio setup but have recently bought myself a Wista DX 5x4 (here she is!) Field camera and plonked a pair of Schneider lenses on it in order to get outside and enjoy the world upside down and back to front as it's meant to be.

I'm currently studying a Masters degree in Photography and Digital Imaging, if anyone's interested my thrill ride of education is kind of documented here http://digiphotomasters.blogspot.com/ the more people that give me feedback, the better I guess! My current project is very much in its early stages, and I'm eagerly awaiting my test trannies back from the lab this week. I guess the work I'm (going to be) shooting in large format is a weird combination of conceptual art, landscape and historical documentary based around family, memory and the British coastline.

It's nice to see large format alive and well and such a good community of enthusiasts!

Re: New (sort of) and saying hello

Quote Originally Posted by crabclawhands View Post
    …the world upside down and back to front…
    Heck, a lot posts on this sometimes-crazy forum look that way, too! Welcome, and look forward to your contributions – especially in view of your technical and academic background. Be sure to tell us more about those inaugural slides when they’re back from the lab.

Welcome, crabclawhands,

Your user name reminds me of a portrait of a friend, in which he is depicted with lobster claws instead of normal grippers. I look forward to your contributions.

Welcome from down south/west

I hope you will see fit to change your web address and drop the digi.
    Welcome
    Regards
    Bill

Thanks all,
    Bill, I would... but it's the name of the degree I'm studying, funny though, 50% of my fellow students are shooting film in one form or another. To be fair, I will be scanning my trannies so it's just about applicable.
    I could maybe change the look of the blog to be more wood and brass-tastic though!

Welcome to group therepy! You seem to have a good background for LF work...hope you enjoy your new camera!