Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mounting Photos

Re: Mounting Photos

Quote Originally Posted by keith english View Post
    I assume we are talking silver gel prints. I don't believe you can heat mount any ink-jet print, correct?
    I asked Ilford about this and they definitely advise against dry mounting of any ink jet prints.The response from their tech support:

"ILFORD stopped using dry mounting tissue inhouse > 12 years ago and we do not suggest using hot mount and flat bed presses for any inkjet media types. Please ensure that you only use mounting products designed for Inkjet use. Spray mounts today or pressure sensitive adhesive films are the ones normally suggest for ink jet. Most good suppliers can supply those mounting adhesives designed for inkjet applications. If you do need to use hot mount products then please ensure you use the low temperature versions specifcially designed for inkjet."

AFAIK, photography is unique in having a tradition of permanently attaching a print to a mount. No one would dream of using such techniques for other forms of valuable art (prints/watercolors/etc.), and AFAIK it is not considered conservation mounting these days.

The material that you mount to also needs to be considered - standard foamcore, acid free or not, tends not to remain flat. I have 20X24 pieces that were mounted with spray adhesive to 1/8" foamcore that within a year warped and bowed badly. Maybe a heavier foamcore, or an alternative material is needed - I will never do that again! There is discussion of this on other boards, with the consensus being that foamcore is likely to warp, the thinner, the more likely.

Never easy, eh?

Jaan

Jim Ewins

I munt inkjets with a drymount press and too often have warp, which I seldom get using Scotch 568 Positionable Mounting adhesive. I got a 16" roll that works well. I need a spry booth to use the can stuff.

Urgently need Advice, Re: Mounting Photos

I urgently need some informed advice on mounting/framing. I'm having a show at a local gallery. We put the show up last night. I was in the gallery again this afternoon, and was quite alarmed to see that several of the prints had big splotches of condensation on the inside of the glass, enough that drips of water were running down the glass on a couple of them. Additionally, a couple of the prints were buckling in several places on the mounting board.

Please note that the gallery has large front windows, and all of the affected prints were being directly hit by late afternoon sun (I know that this is not good for fading, but there's no way around it). The prints are all on Epson Enhanced Matte, and were mounted on acid-free mat board. The guy who did the framing said that the prints could not be dry-mounted because of being printed on matte paper, so they had to be "spray-mounted"(?).

I'm certain that the prints were not exposed to water after I picked them up from the framer - I transported them directly to the gallery space and they were stored in a dry location until being hung. I don't know anything about mounting prints, but it seems to me that the condensation must have something to do with the mounting process, and the fact that the prints were heated by the sun. I'm in Vancouver, and it's late October, so we're not talking about intense heat, but I can't see how any other explanation makes sense. The framer however, said there is no way it could have anything to do with the mounting.

He has offered to fix up all the affected prints (remount the affected ones and clean out the condensation). I need to figure something out by the morning. If, as I suspect, it's a problem with the mounting then I don't see any solution other than having all the prints removed from the mounting board and placed in mats instead. I would rather not do this, it will be another expense, and it is not the way I wanted to present the prints, but I don't want to take a chance on further problems. I greatly appreciate any informed advice on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Per Volquartz View Post
    2 ways:

2. Use archival tape w. rice starch. A fair number of archival experts do not like photos to be dry mounted. Their reason being that if something goes wrong with the print at a later time it is difficult to correct if the print is permanently mounted. Their recommendation is to mount the prints on the archival backing using archival tape (made from rice starch) - you do not trim your print. Instead you attach a piece of archival tape to each corner of the print (+ in the middle / height / length if large print) This way the print can easily be removed...
    I highly recommend this way. T-hinge with all archival materials.
    Here is a link to the library of Congress as to how they mount all of their archival materials:
    http://www.loc.gov/preserv/care/mat.html