Thread: Durst L1840 and RH Designs StopClock...can't get there from here?

Ever learning, ever growing. Mark Carstens's Avatar

Durst L1840 and RH Designs StopClock...can't get there from here?

I have an RH Designs StopClock (f-stop timer) that I acquired for another enlarger. When I picked up an L1840 Durst a while back, it became clear that these two units may not work together, at least not in the "plug and play" sort of way (as the StopClock does with my Saunders).

So, my question...is there a way to control the Durst light source via the StopClock by circumventing the controls on the Durst? Be forewarned, I can turn a wrench as well as the next guy, but I know nothing about things electrical.

I put a query into RH Designs to which they responded promptly, and at this point, unless there is a way to tap into the light source, it appears I'd be confined to using the StopClock as an elaborate calculator for the Durst.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

~Mark

Re: Durst L1840 and RH Designs StopClock...can't get there from here?

If you have a CLS1840 head, It will need a 220 volt StopClock ore a relay operated by your 110 volt StopClock

Quote Originally Posted by gary mulder View Post
    If you have a CLS1840 head, It will need a 220 volt StopClock ore a relay operated by your 110 volt StopClock
    Maybe not. I think the EST1000N will accept a range from 120v to 220v at the 'timer input' and this provides a switching function only (it won't fry your timer).

I don't have the EST1000N schematic with me but I can check for sure.

Check my APUG post.

Ever learning, ever growing. Mark Carstens's Avatar

It's alive! It's alive!! Thanks so much, IC!

• I hooked the StopClock "Mains input connector" to my wall outlet via a 3-prong extension.
    • I hooked the StopClock "Enlarger Connector" to the "timer" input on my EST1000 power supply (there were no sparks or blown fuses, so I think you were right about the 120v connection)
    • I hooked the "power input" connector on the EST1000 to the mains (a socket marked "AUX").
    • I crossed my fingers and powered up.

It works!! Yeah, baby!! I'm in business!!

Side Note I: I ended up cannibalizing the socket connection cable from the enlarger's power supply's (from the "timer output" to the "timer input" of the EST1000) to connect the StopClock to the EST1000N power supply. I had a heavy duty 3-prong cable laying around that I'd pulled off an old projector cart "just in case"...this case. I did an internet lookup first as the wire colors are blue/brown/green rather than black/white/green.

Side Note II: Also, my EST1000N has "100-240v" above the "timer" connection socket, but I appreciate you bringing that to my attention just the same, Gary.

Anyway, I'm off and running!

Thanks again. And thanks too, IC, for the "Durst L1840...Everything you wanted to know..." you've posted here. I've learned a lot there too.

Best regards,
    ~Mark