Thread: Buying or not.Gitzo GT3330 + Arca Z1 double pan

Buying or not.Gitzo GT3330 + Arca Z1 double pan

I have a Cambo monorail 4x5 and its weight is 9 kg more or less depending on the lens used. The Gitzo is the alu13 version and weighs 3.2 kg.
    I travel most of the time by car and then a 15 min walk. My questions are:
    Is the Gitzo stable enough? (better then the 4-segments variant)
    What do you think about the double panning system? I think it solves for the the leveling difficulties ballheads usually have.
    This combo falls within the budget at this moment.
    Go for it, or save some more for another combo? e.g. Gitzo cobalt version or 4 series
    Anticipating your input, cause I want to go out ASAP.

Regards,

Peter.

Re: Buying or not.Gitzo GT3330 + Arca Z1 double pan

Hello from Gitzo-Land
    I have a Gitzo series 3 Alumin(i)um tripod, a previous, #1312 discontinued model, and it is a joy to use with a 4x5" camera of overall weight about 5-6 kg.
    The new GT3330 is rated for 18 kg; hence you should have no stability problem at all with a total load of 9 kg (my 1312 is rated only for 10 kg). The GT3330 is not heavier than my 1312, and has improved load capabilities.

Regarding the tripod head:
    What do you think about the double panning system? I think it solves for the the leveling difficulties ballheads usually have.

I have a B1, the previous model, superseded by the current Z1 which is smaller and cheaper.
    I have the double pan option and this definitely solves the problem of levelling the camera.
    You let the tripod legs fall as they wish , then you level the camera as you wish with the ball and the upper panoramic movement eventually gives you the horizontal panning.
    Moreover the progressive friction delivered by the aspherical ball provides you a much easier way to quickly level the camera (see below).

You might also consider the Arca Swiss P1 ballhead which is in fact an inverted ballhead with the upper panoramic movement as well. The P1's overall height is smaller than the Z1 with the double pan option. In fact I never use the lower panning movement of my B1, only the upper one; hence a P1 could do the job for me as well, but it did not exist yet when I purchased the B1.
    Like the Z1, the P1 has the special feature of being slightly aspherical, this provides a safety progressive friction increasing automatically when the camera starts to tilt after releasing the main tightening knob (or the main ring on the P1). This is an important safety point for an equipement in the 9kg range.

As for the tripod, I would get the largest Feisol rather than the Gitzo. It will be stable and cheaper/lighter than Gitzo with excellent quality.

For the head, I think the B1 will be inadequate for your big monorail. A B2 is the way to go.

I went through the same issues when I bought my first 8x10, a Wehman which weighs just 8 pounds, But open the camera, extend the bellows, and put a large lens on the front and you really puts some pressure on a ball head. I tried to use my 4x5 setup which is a mid-size Feisol and an Arca Z1 head and it was not up to the task (or even close). I know the Z1 specs say it will work and that someone will say it works fine. But if you are going to the effort to use a monorail, I assume you want want rock solid. And 8x10 film is not cheap so you don't want to be blowing shots with camera shake. In the end, I bought the largest size Feisol and a Gitzo pan-tilt head. For smaller formats I much prefer a ballhead with a quick release mechanism. But for the 8x10, this is the way to go. Simply tilt the head vertical and the camera screws on much more easily. And the huge camera platform helps make it rock solid. Small changes on any individual axis are easy and no potential for camera flop. Plus, the whole setup is not even half the cost of Gitzo legs plus Arca head and is lighter and more stable.

Maybe I should mention again that I am using the 4x5 format.
    I also thought of a Feisol; but their tripods-line go to a max of 12kg.
    Important for me is to "feel" the material, but I did not find a shop where they have them.
    Please more info taking the above into account. Also some comments about the difference in stabilty between 3-segments and 4-segment tripods if there's any.

Peter.

you should look also at the gitzo 4330. the difference between the series 3 to the 4/5 series is the bigger camera base. i can't comment on feisol tripods, but the gitzo is a very well made, stable and fast to open/close tripod.

Going through reviews and comment about Feisol its clear to me that they are made with bigger tolerances. Most users have a DSLR configuration and in that case any tripod quickly more or less stable. Also the locking system is less advanced compared to the gitzo. E.g with my Gitzo monopod it takes very little force to lock the segments; a little bit more or less does not affect the grip.With Feiso lthere is only a nylon conical ringwich must be tightened. With the Gitzo there is also something witch looks like a cork insert; anyhow its more sophisticated.
    I'll go for the Gitzo, also because I have the monopod almost ten years and enjoy it everytime I use it.
    I missed the 4330 and it looks ok. The weight is 200 g more and its within budget.
    It has no centre colum though, won't I be missing that?
    Emmanuel Bigler suggested to look at Arca's P1 instead of the Z1, thats also a good alternative I think cause I can level without the use of a second panning plate. That should make the ballhead also more stable. Max weigt of the Z1 is 55 kg and of the P1 30 kg. I think that 30 kg is enough for 4x5. The only problem is that its not easy to find a shop with one on the shelf. The Z1 is far more popular.

Thanks to all, I'll study further on the matter.

Peter.

gitzo started making a ballhead for their systematic tripods.http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Ball_Head.html i like it's locking machanism and the compact dimensions.
    as to the centre colum, i have seen your work online and like it alot. a colum wouldn't change the perspective in your pictures, but bring into play another bolt to think about. i find complicated gear to be distracting, hence i like my combo very much. i don't have to think about the tripod while working with my camera.

It has no centre colum though, won't I be missing that?

The Gitzo 1312 model I own has a built-in, non removable geared column.
    I never use the column with my 4x5" camera and have hardly ever used it with smaller camera models.
    Besides the Gitzo I have a wooden Berlebach Nr. 8013 for backpacking with the 4x5" camera, there is no centre column at all.
    For maximum stability with a heavy camera, the extra height provided by a centre column should be used with care. No column at all is really more stable.
    I know that some Gitzo tripods can be fitted with a removable column aftewards. My (discontinued) 1312 can't, the column is non removable, the 1312, hence, is sighlty heavier than a series-3 alumin(i)um without column.
    One remark regarding 3 sections : both my 1312 Gitzo and my 8013 Berlebach are 3-section tripods. To me this is fine, I can live with the length of the folded tripod, even for backpacing.

Regarding the use of a ballhead with a 8x10" camera, the advantage of monorail cameras is that you can always balance the weight of the camera to minimize torque applied to the ballhead.
    However regarding the B2, I cannot but agree on its statibity, it provides separate tilting movements (left-right) and (forward/bachward) like a 3-D head, but it features the progressive friction like othe A/S ballheads, and does not suffer, like all 3-way heads, from the problem of overhanging parts. If you look at most 3-D heads, you'll see that there is always a part of the head where the load is applied off-centre on an overhanging part. This is the reason why even the best 3-way heads have nominal loads much smaller than ballheads ; or, better said, that for a given load capacity, a ballhed is always smaller and lighter than a 3-way head.

I bought a used B2 and had it repaired, but this head is significantly bulkier and heavier than a Z1.
    The B2 is now supeseded by the Z2, which is smaller and lighter than the B2, but the Z2's price is, well, not as high as the Cube's

The difference between three and four sections besides compactness is the additional joint. In smaller tripods the last section always seems flimsy because of the size. Both of the leg diameter and tightening mechanism.
    The only one I've got is an old Gitzo 4 series that goes to 8 or 9 feet and the diameter on the smallest section is about 7/8". I do have a crank center column on it but seldom use it for more than 2-3" height adjustment.
    Two of the other three tripods I have I have removed or shortened the columns so as to remove the temptation of using them