Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polaroid Sprintscan 45 Ultra

Polaroid Sprintscan 45 Ultra

Hey group

First time posting. We recently found a Polaroid Sprintscan 45 ultra in the storage at our photolab (the previous owner left a lot of things behind!) The scanner is complete, the only thing missing is the Polacolor insight software cd. I've looked all over the internet & the driver links that I've found are dead. I even contacted Polariod, but due to their company restructuring that took place in 2002 it is difficult to get support on older products.
    I was wondering if anybody had a copy of the drivers that they could send me or if they could point me in the right direction? Any & all help on this is appreciated as we are very eager to fire this thing up & check out what this thing is all about.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cohen
    www.richardphotolab.com

Re: Polaroid Sprintscan 45 Ultra

Quote Originally Posted by Cohen View Post
    Hey group

First time posting. We recently found a Polaroid Sprintscan 45 ultra in the storage at our photolab (the previous owner left a lot of things behind!) The scanner is complete, the only thing missing is the Polacolor insight software cd. I've looked all over the internet & the driver links that I've found are dead. I even contacted Polariod, but due to their company restructuring that took place in 2002 it is difficult to get support on older products.
    I was wondering if anybody had a copy of the drivers that they could send me or if they could point me in the right direction? Any & all help on this is appreciated as we are very eager to fire this thing up & check out what this thing is all about.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cohen
    www.richardphotolab.com
    If you don't have any luck here post this message on Photo.net. I think there are some Sprintscan 46 Ultra users there.

Don Bryant

Scott Rosenberg went through this a few years back. You can contact him through this site. I think he was able to obtain a copy.

bob

It's supported by Vuescan- you don't need the manufacturers drivers. Buy Vuescan and get scanning. If it's a SCSI scanner the cables and adapters are standard and it's not hard to find a cheap Adaptec PCI SCSI card.

Shilesh Jani

Shilesh Jani

Shilesh Jani

If that is a dead end, let me know via PM. I have the Polaroid SS 120 MF scanner, and if memory serves me, the software CD includes drivers for all Polaroid scanners, including 45 Ultra. I can send you a copy.

I am not sure if Vuescan will work by itself because it is a scanning interface, and still needs OEM drivers installed in the OS to interact with the hardware. But I may be mistaken about that.

Shilesh

Quote Originally Posted by shileshjani View Post
    Shilesh Jani

Didn't Microtek take over that scanner, and rebrand it under their name ?

Quote Originally Posted by shileshjani View Post
    I am not sure if Vuescan will work by itself because it is a scanning interface, and still needs OEM drivers installed in the OS to interact with the hardware. But I may be mistaken about that.
    Shilesh
    Vuescan only needs Manufacturers drivers for USB scanners. For SCSI it just takes over the SCSI bus and talks directly to it- at least it does on Windows. On Mac who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    Vuescan only needs Manufacturers drivers for USB scanners. For SCSI it just takes over the SCSI bus and talks directly to it- at least it does on Windows. On Mac who knows.
    Vuescan won't work without the OEM drivers at least for my Sprintscan 120, however that was using a firewire hookup. You maybe correct about the SCSI port. My Agfa Duoscan didn't need OEM drivers for the SCSI connect. I don't think the drivers for the 45 ultra are on the Sprintscn 120 disk but I'll try looking, just to check.

The Polaroid scanners were made by Microtek just as they did for Agfa, unfortunately the Microtek branded drivers fail to work with Polaroid branded scanners, at least as far as I can confirm from past failed attempts to use them with the Polaroid 120.

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Vuescan won't work without the OEM drivers at least for my Sprintscan 120, however that was using a firewire hookup. You maybe correct about the SCSI port.
    Yes, he is correct. Ed Hamrick started the whole Vuescan program as a generic scanner driver for SCSI-connected devices. All the vintage SCSI-connected scanners that Vuescan supports it does at low level and directly. Later, when his user interface and scanner controls started becoming popular, he started supporting some non-SCSI scanners through the manufacturer drivers. Initially, though, Vuescan only supported SCSI scanners. Before firewire and USB, though, the only two options were SCSI and the parallel port. Vuescan has never support scanners that use the parallel port.

I did not need a Minolta driver for my Multi II with Vuescan. But I also don't need a Nikon driver for my 8000ED, which uses a firewire connection.

What you give up with Vuescan is a twain-compliant driver. This isn't much of a limitation in our world--we usually use dedicated software for scanning rather than acquiring scans from within other software. But that was a more visible limitation 10 years ago.

Rick "a Vuescan user since 1999ish" Denney