Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Art what is it for you?

Kevin Kolosky

Art what is it for you?

to me Art is life. If the piece (photograph)reminds me of something in my life or speaks a truth to me then I am interested in it. I have purchased photographs before and hope to continue to do so. the kick to take out the money is very subjective. Do my eyes enjoy looking at it. Does my mind like to be reminded of it. And are there enough dollars in the wallet. If so, I might buy it.

Kevin

Art what is it for you?

I bought a handcrafted wooden 'fork' and 'spoon' while in Bahia, in the Pelorinho, fine examples of Afro-Brazilian Art, with a direct connection to African Art Since Bahia was where slaves were first taken to South America.

Slavery also brought the culture and artistry and religions of the Yoruba to South America(a culture which is 5000 yrs old), much of Afro-Brazilian Art is almost exactly like African Art and the 'fork' and 'spoon' touched something in me deeply about this heritage and tradition. The African Diaspora and all its artifacts are of a special interest for me.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Art what is it for you?

BTW, U.C.L.A.(the school) sells a magazine called 'African Art', with some wonderful pics and illustrations and announcements, it is a 'porthole' into the world of African Art, I recommend it to anybody wishing info on the subject.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Tautatis

Art what is it for you?

Armin,

I wouldn't want to be too philosophical here to describe art for me. REcently a friend and I went to a gallery opening and there were several rooms and in the final room we passed two oil prints and both of us, from the corner of our eyes noticed them and nodded - we finished the evening buying both prints (to be delivered after the exhibit). Here, the definition still will be something like the "utility" derived from the object.

Adrian

Art what is it for you?

Armin,

just to tease a bit: if a picture is not technically perfect or not understood by it's viewers, it is most likely an Artwork...

Art what is it for you?

Armin,

Some of my favorite quotes about art:

"Everything that is not news is art"

"Art is in the eye of the storm"

"I know it when I see it"

"Art is simply that which the artist cannot explain"

"Art is abundant; Artists are few"

"Art is seeing someone elses reflection when you look in the mirror"

Doug

Art what is it for you?

Art is a guy I knew in high school. Wonder what he's up to these days...

Art what is it for you?

To me, art is something that is created by a person to creatively use the human sensory outlets to challenge an ideal, move one's emotionions, inspire complex thought, magnify or shrink aspects of the human condition, or simply please the senses on a higher level. Successful art is art that accomplishes any of these things, regardless of the creator's original intent. Art can be created by accident or on purpose. Alternatively, that which is created in the pursuit of art can be truly successful or it can fail quite miserably. Examples can be found all around us in everyday situations.

Art what is it for you?

I believe a piece of Art needs to have only one requisite:it has to be honest. Art is when the artist's attempt to share a piece of Him-her-self is succesful. I will buy a piece of Art when i feel an instant bonding to it. When a childlike burst inside of me compells me to own it.

Art what is it for you?

Todd,

Is that the same Art that had a show interviewing kids in the early days of TV?

Linkletter - yeah, that's him.

W. G.