Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mad Artist takes on Lf with a view to kill!!!

Re: Mad Artist takes on Lf with a view to kill!!!

I also say more power to you! LF doesn't have to be a hobby just because someone's new to it, btw. Just make sure you have fun with it!

Why 8x10 over 5x4 Andrew? Not to be at all negative;-) but have you considered the practicalities of carrying an 8x10 plus all the other related gear around in the landscape...film holders, lenses, tripod/head etc etc. All that kit can get heavy very quickly...exhaustion kills inspiration dead. That was my journey.... but thats me.

Many people dont see any significant difference in prints made with 8x10 and 5x4 unless the goal is big prints. Saying all that, 8x10s an intense itch, it was for me and gear can usually be resold without much if any loss if it doesn't 'happen'.

You dont mention if you have a preference for B/W or colour film. The cost of 8x10 film needs to be considered...its not cheap. If you want to shoot colour you need to factor processing costs...again not cheap.

How do you intend to print the negs...traditionally with an 8x10 enlarger, contact print with a simple bare light bulb or scan and print digitally? These thing need to be considered.

Many notable photographers recommend/ed one camera one lens and one film.
    Not everyone agrees with that philosophy, but.....simplicity has its own power.

Welcome to group therepy! You may need it! Most of us do from time to time!

You're starting out with good equipment, but remember not to expect to do you best work from the start...there is a definate learning curve in LF and we all have had to go thru it. It makes you slow down and think about what you're doing more than smaller formats which tend to encourage a "shoot lots and see whats good" attitude among a lot of folks.

Hope you enjoy the camera snd lenses. Have fun with 'em!
    Last edited by Vick Vickery; 27-Jun-2010 at 10:54. Reason: Bad spelling, as usual!

In spite of the flack I'll probably take for suggesting this, I think that if you can get your hands on Fred Picker's Zone System Workshop you will get off to a magnificent head start. I boils down the basics of Ansel's Trilogy into a short and very understandable book.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    In spite of the flack I'll probably take for suggesting this, I think that if you can get your hands on Fred Picker's Zone System Workshop you will get off to a magnificent head start. I boils down the basics of Ansel's Trilogy into a short and very understandable book.
    Ditto
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Andrew, the editor in my head wouldn't stop mumbling, so I went into my office and pulled Picker's book off the shelf. It is Zone VI Workshop, and not Zone System Workshop. Forgive my error, and for inspiration check out some of Mr. Gittings' fine work. I was showing his book Chaco Body to one of my colleagues, who commented, "So...does this guy make you feel bad or what?" Guess I should pull the prints from my cube at work, huh?
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by kev curry View Post
    Why 8x10 over 5x4 Andrew? Not to be at all negative;-) but have you considered the practicalities of carrying an 8x10 plus all the other related gear around in the landscape...film holders, lenses, tripod/head etc etc. All that kit can get heavy very quickly...exhaustion kills inspiration dead. That was my journey.... but thats me.

Many people dont see any significant difference in prints made with 8x10 and 5x4 unless the goal is big prints. Saying all that, 8x10s an intense itch, it was for me and gear can usually be resold without much if any loss if it doesn't 'happen'.

You dont mention if you have a preference for B/W or colour film. The cost of 8x10 film needs to be considered...its not cheap. If you want to shoot colour you need to factor processing costs...again not cheap.

How do you intend to print the negs...traditionally with an 8x10 enlarger, contact print with a simple bare light bulb or scan and print digitally? These thing need to be considered.

Many notable photographers recommend/ed one camera one lens and one film.
    Not everyone agrees with that philosophy, but.....simplicity has its own power.
    I'll second Kev's thoughts.

8x10 is a PITA in Australia. Too difficult and too expensive to do - access to a range of different film will probably be limited to importing and processing will also be difficult.

Even 4x5 is a bit of a struggle, but you have access to many films and there are several companies processing it.

Just my observations...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    Andrew, the editor in my head wouldn't stop mumbling, so I went into my office and pulled Picker's book off the shelf. It is Zone VI Workshop, and not Zone System Workshop. Forgive my error, and for inspiration check out some of Mr. Gittings' fine work. I was showing his book Chaco Body to one of my colleagues, who commented, "So...does this guy make you feel bad or what?" Guess I should pull the prints from my cube at work, huh?
    Damn you made my day! Thanks.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Hi Andrew,
    yes 8x10 is harder in Australia, but I have found that my work has improved since I went up from 4x5, not in quantity, but quality. I shoot mainly landscapes and all in black and white, so I wish you good luck and have lots of fun. Don't let anyone tell you you're an idiot for choosing the big format, because the results are worth it.
    Here's a link to my flickr page. All except one or two are shot on the 8x10.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40218037@N05/

cheers
    Mike

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Thank you every one for your supportive words and practical advice.

I will respond individually, but for now I must look some of the things 'you' said up.

I want to go large, both colour and black and white, as i want to make large prints.

I saw a place called blanco negro here in redfern that do large printing. They look expensive, but thats art.

I will Just have to sell my work for allot to make up for it... smirk!