Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mad Artist takes on Lf with a view to kill!!!

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Wink Mad Artist takes on Lf with a view to kill!!!

Kill what! Well, mediocracy first. Then All the naysayers who say i cant take risks, I might even kill that part of my self that doesn't finish projects. (or the dishes). Hello every one My Name is andrew Nichols, I am An artist from sydney Australia, Living close to the coast. I am on a quixotic adventure to take on the landscape, with a twist. Whilst i will be learning all i can to make me as skilled as i need to be, My usual approach is half skill and half intuition, enabling me my own little thrill of discovery as i venture into the unknown. My current mission is a long term goal that merges landscape photography with installation art. Let me say though I am honoured to be here as part of the collective 'mastermind'. I am pretty loose and not to uptight, I am a vegetarian, who reads stiener, and practices meditation and some yoga. Althou not the most regular. I have a vegi garden. I love painting oil on canvas and have done so for 22 years. i am 36yo, tall and lanky. BY day i build for cash, as well as design. Also by day when i am not working, i play music, read and study. But now I am learning to take pictures instead of painting them. Painting has taught me composition. So it comes naturally. Well, It can do when i get out of my own way! As part of my usual risk taking strategy I bought a 19" and a 14" dagor from eBay 6 days ago for $3500au, it was expensive but i think they are good. And as i am doing art, i want something unique. so i will buy some more unique lenses but i have already 5, 3 that i got with my horseman 6x12. (see profile) I am yet to fire a shot! but i have bought all of Ansell's books, and am keen to learn, so if any one wants to teach me how to use a horsman go right ahead. Maybe we can swap something, i have many skills. but first i am trying to get a camera for my dagor 19" i want an 8x10, but am not sure which. I dont always have alot of money as i have given up full time work to be an artist. And I have never used a LF, so I am looking for The ideal learners one. Does any one think deardorff and ebony look similar? I would absolutly love some feedback, or an offer of a camera if i come over and fix your porch, or give you a painting or a mural, or ccccccash. THank you for your time and welcome to the me you see....Andrew Nichols

Ross

Re: Mad Artist takes on Lf with a view to kill!!!

Heavens, what can I say? Probably best to say nothing, I guess.

Best of luck.

Thank you for your reply ross and mdm, Who is Julia, and do you think any one who does not fit the mould should take medication? mmmm... but what i find to border on an insult is the idea that i should buy a holga and be done with it! done with what!, why don't you buy a holga and be done with it. I suppose the same reason that you and every one else has come to the craft, and put up with years of learning and expense, for passion, for the love of nature, the human being, and art. I am also not quite sure that as a welcome to a forum i should be suggested medication. Nor am i sure that you are qualified to make the call. And any way what do you suggest, some thing that numbs me down, so we can then relate? Or have you become accustom as i have noticed some, to use this place to vent their spleen and take pot shots from their trench of anonymity. But I thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to at least offer a reply. Lets see what sort of people call them selfs so.

I apologise for that and good luck with your quest. I did not mean to cause offence.

It is a wonderful passtime this and I am shure you will go on to great things in the future.

David

Welcome to the forum.

Pleeeease use line breaks! It makes it a lot easier to read!!!!

I don't think kit, or cost, or enthusiasm, can make someone an artist, or a 'director'...and if they did, I'm not sure it makes them a good or memorable one.

Just as any true artist could make a masterpiece with the cheapest pencil & scrap paper, a person with the most expensive kit doesn't make them a better photographer than the person without.

Painting is vastly different from photography.

I recommend you go out & enjoy taking photographs & learn how to as an 'enthusiast', remaining a painter/vegetarian/yogi/etc.

Read books on the theory of photography, not just the technique.

Do you have a concept for the installation? That should have dictated your image format.

Take some photos. Post some pictures, get some responses.

Thank you Ash,

I am a line breeeeeeeeeaker from now on.

I understand how annoying it is to accommodate the freshman. But like a puppy i hope my enthusiasm pays for my spills.

(break)

Thank you for your advice on theory, i had not really thought about it.

I do however have some set ideas, or visions of what i want to achieve and i am very encouraged to see them real.

I understand that money does not buy talent, I grew up in a poor family in tasmania, with a single mum and 5 brothers and sisters. I know poor.

I have spent my whole life pursuing art, and been interested in commercial success, only when i have artistic merit, and could have gone commercial years ago and made a good money. so i am actually true to my self. even though it has been hard and i have had some usually insurmountable obstacles that many never get through.

I like the saying 'enthusiasm is genius of honesty', not sure who said it, but i think we need to muster all the force at our disposal to get things done, lest we sit around and watch.

I spent time in prison for chaining myself to tractors to protect the rainforest.

I have bush walked all over tasmania. I have spent years in australian bush and desert getting to know her. I have painted her. I am half country half city.

But I have a deep convinction of my vision, as i have carried it for 2 years and am now kitting up to go to stage one.

I dont mind spending up to 3000 on a second hand camera that i know will hold its value, as i will be spending alot of time with it, and want it to be my friend. I want to look at it and smile. not think what a dumb ugly bastard who wont work!

But I am taking LF on as a career move not as a hobby or enthusiast. I don't do things by half's.

Thank you ash for you'r reply, I now have something to think about. any good theory books on your shelf?
    Last edited by cosmicexplosion; 27-Jun-2010 at 04:09. Reason: spelling

Good Luck on your Quest Andrew!

More power to you Andrew. Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicexplosion View Post
    ...I spent time in prison for chaining myself to tractors to protect the rain forest...
    You must be one of the “good guys” – thank you!

And look forward to your LF photos of the rain forest … Hope it’s still there.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicexplosion View Post
    I have bush walked all over tasmania. I have spent years in australian bush and desert getting to know her. I have painted her. I am half country half city.

But I have a deep convinction of my vision, as i have carried it for 2 years and am now kitting up to go to stage one.
    Are you able to share some examples of your paintings? I'd be interested.