Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FS/WTB clarifications

FS/WTB clarifications

Pursuant to discussions among the moderator group, the Guidelines and description of the For Sale/Wanted to Buy section have been changed as follows:

Classified ads should only be posted in the "For Sale/Wanted" sub-forum, which is open only to those who have been members for 30 days or more. Classified ads are limited to the personal equipment of registered users. Posts by dealers are not allowed. The sales price must be clearly stated in the original post. Auctions are not permitted. Links to other auction sites such as eBay or other points of sale are prohibited and will be deleted without notice. Please prefix all post titles to indicate intent: "WTB", "FS" , "FT" (for trade), etc. Use of the "For Sale/Wanted" section is completely at your own risk.

Bold indicates the primary change/clarification.

Re: FS/WTB clarifications

Ralph, if the intent is to prevent auctions, should this same rule about stating a price apply equally to buyers, i.e., WTB? Seems like buyers should be required to post the price they are willing to pay, o/w there will continue to be auctions, just in reverse....

Maybe you intend this new rule to apply to WTBs also, but if so, it's not clear. fwiw....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    Ralph, if the intent is to prevent auctions, should this same rule about stating a price apply equally to buyers, i.e., WTB? Seems like buyers should be required to post the price they are willing to pay, o/w there will continue to be auctions, just in reverse....

Maybe you intend this new rule to apply to WTBs also, but if so, it's not clear. fwiw....
    This doesn't make any sense to me because a WTB negotiation is not an auction. The problem with sellers "auctions" is there are no set rules and they end up frustrating everyone involved. WTB ads have never been a problem and they're not auctions. It's usually the seller that sets the price in a WTB transaction, so requiring the buyer to list a price will only lower the odds of completing a transaction.

So frustrated buyers in a FS auction is a problem, but frustrated sellers in a WTB auction is not a problem....

Given the exact condition will not be known to the buyer at the time, it is very hard to set a realistic price. I would hate to say I want a new lens and will pay xx for it. I would hate to be obligated to take the first one offered, especially if it wasn't in very good condition (as determined by me).

With most used items being bought condition is critical, age is important, location is important (postage), etc. so for most used items it isn't feasible to specify a buying price.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

WTBs haven't been a problem, so they weren't included in the stated-price/no-auction rule. If we start getting a rash of WTB reverse auctions (best condition at the lowest price), we might reconsider.

The original objective was to provide a place where regular participants could sell and buy their personal equipment among themselves. Most of the "issues" have come from folks who register for the sole purpose of selling, but don't take the time to either read the guidelines or get a sense of the customs here.

The way I see it, WTB is just like someone having an item for sale and posting a price. When someone responds, you have the opportunity to say "I like it and am willing to pay that price" or passing on the item because you dont like the item, the price , or both. If I post a WTB, and you post a reply with an item, you show me your goods and state a price. I now can tell you yes or no, and why. It in no way resembles an auction.The same holds true for items listed with a price along with the "or best offer", or "negotiable" added. If you see an item you like, but feel the price is unreasonable, feel free to offer less, or even( its happened right here) more for it, at which point the seller can say yes or no, and either negotiate to a common ground, or not do anything more except continue to list the item.

There are a few who do have problems with guidelines, and I believe those people are in the "business of selling gear under the guise of being an individual (I can name names)and in fact are businesses, and it shows in their user names on other sites. Thats just my tuppence worth.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

FS: Good advise

Good advise for sale. Any and all topics will be considered.

Price: $0.02 (two American cents) OBO.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

WTB: Good Advise

Good advise wanted. Any an all topics will be considered.

Price: Not to exceed $0.02 (two American cents) OBO.