Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unbelievable!

Re: Unbelievable!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    The fire was in 1937. The Polaroid process wasn't around until 1948 or so.

The key is the name of the photographer.
    Re-reading the OP I see that Gem says the print was printed in the 60s or 70s, so that answers that question. Post-fire.

Not quite sure what you mean about the Polaroid process...

--Darin

Octogenarian

When I stated that Ansel would be rolling over in his grave, I wasn't referring to who purchased the print or in which country it will end up. Ansel didn't give a care.

However, he couldn't get that kind of price for his prints when he was alive. His disappointment would stem from the fact that he is no longer here to reap the fruits of his labor.

My guess is that Ansel's "Clearing Winter Storm" mural will be used to decorate a wall, in a brand new office building, somewhere in the United Arab Emirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    When I stated that Ansel would be rolling over in his grave, I wasn't referring to who purchased the print or in which country it will end up. Ansel didn't give a care.

However, he couldn't get that kind of price for his prints when he was alive. His disappointment would stem from the fact that he is no longer here to reap the fruits of his labor.

My guess is that Ansel's "Clearing Winter Storm" mural will be used to decorate a wall, in a brand new office building, somewhere in the United Arab Emirates.
    I imagine that he'd rather be here than there for a lot of reasons besides the price of his prints. : - )

But let's not shed too many tears for Ansel. Between the prices he was getting for his prints and his income from other sources (e.g. licensing his images for use on various products) he lived very well in his later years from all I've read.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Re-reading the OP I see that Gem says the print was printed in the 60s or 70s, so that answers that question. Post-fire.

Not quite sure what you mean about the Polaroid process...

--Darin
    By "the Polaroid process" I meant the process invented by Dr. Land that allowed one to make instant prints - Polaroid cameras, Polaroid film, etc.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    ...he couldn't get that kind of price for his prints when he was alive.
    The price of art always goes up when the artist dies, doesn't it? (I could make this into a crass joke, but I'm too mature for that )

...Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    By "the Polaroid process" I meant the process invented by Dr. Land that allowed one to make instant prints - Polaroid cameras, Polaroid film, etc.
    Uhhh...I guess I already knew that

The part I missed was when you said "I believe the fire was in 1937. The Polaroid process wasn't around until 1948 or so" in response to my wondering whether the print was pre or post fire. Where does the date of the invention of the Polaroid process fit in?

--Darin

Those mural prints were regular, not Polaroid, prints. The Polaroid collection had many regular prints in it. The sad part of this auction is that no benefit will go to the artists even though for the most part the artists had an agreement with Polaroid that the work remained theirs so Polaroid didn't own it.

A.D.Coleman has written extensively on his blog about this situation. I believe his blog is called aphotocritic if you want to look it up.

I did feel the earth shake yesterday actually
    being a saint must give you some real pull

Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    A.D.Coleman has written extensively on his blog about this situation. I believe his blog is called aphotocritic if you want to look it up.
    http://nearbycafe.com/artandphoto/photocritic/

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Uhhh...I guess I already knew that

The part I missed was when you said "I believe the fire was in 1937. The Polaroid process wasn't around until 1948 or so" in response to my wondering whether the print was pre or post fire. Where does the date of the invention of the Polaroid process fit in?

--Darin
    I figured you must have known that but I couldn't think of anything else to say when you asked what I meant about the Polaroid process. Now I see you were asking why the date of its invention was relevant to your original question.

I thought it was relevant because the print was a mural print and I assumed a mural print would have been a Polaroid print. However, after reading the article cited earlier in this thread I see that it wasn't, it was a silver print from the Polaroid collection but not a Polaroid print. So the date of invention of the Polaroid process is irrelevant to your original question. Sorry for the confusion.
    Brian Ellis