Thread: Method of Transporting my Horseman 4x5

Method of Transporting my Horseman 4x5

I need a good method of transporting my Horseman L45 camera plus lenses etc.

It folds up flat, so I want to take advantage of that. I think I want to get a Halliburton type case for it, and put it in that with foam that fits it. I could fit a couple lens in the open space there too. I would then keep bellows, bag bellows, film, cut film holders, change bag, etc. in a backpack.

This way, while traveling, I'll have a backpack on my back, tripod in one hand, and Halliburton type case in my other hand.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Re: Method of Transporting my Horseman 4x5

It comes apart and can be quickly reassembled, so for mine I placed the standards in a padded cooler bag separated by a piece of ensolite foam, put the lenses in wraps, then put everything in a Kelty Redwing. The film holders and bellows fit in Thermos lunch bags.

umop episdn

Hey, I've been there and done this!

Lightware for a time made a custom-made case for Horseman to carry the L-series monorails flat. It's a very nice, heavily padded case that saves on the weight of an aluminum hard case. An older 450 with the extendable rail fits very nicely within it. Unfortunately they're no longer made. The current models from Lightware would be the SA4050 or BF8050 briefcases. These are a bit smaller but the Horseman cameras should still fit inside.

If you're a little industrious, you can make a case. I made one for my LE series camera out of heavy canvas, nylon, foam and plastic sheeting. It measures 17x14x11. It's amazingly lightweight but the contents ... well, aren't. I have the camera with lens, two panoramic backs, six film holders, light meter, loupe, dark cloth, cable release, notebook and pencil within. There's a tiny bit of room left in it for an extra lens, bag bellows and filters. Note the stretchy neoprene shoulder strap; it really helps!

If time isn't an issue, having the camera stored flat and separate from the rest of the gear really helps distribute the bulk and weight. However, when traveling space to carry stuff and time to set up are a premium. Less is definitely more and having everything in one 'container' does simplify and speed things up a bit. Choosing which way to go isn't always easy ...
    Last edited by konakoa; 18-Sep-2010 at 23:42.

I'm also looking for a solution, as I am planning to pick up a Horseman for architectural work.

I am curious if anyone has tried using a Lightware Multiformat or rolling case, with the dividers cut lower to make a shelf for the camera folded flat on top? I am wondering if this would be deep enough to hold lenses in the bottom and the camera on top? It would look something like the attached photo, but with the dividers cut a bit shorter.

Does anyone have the exact dimensions of the horseman when folded flat?

Thanks!
    Last edited by kbrooks; 5-Jul-2010 at 09:11. Reason: Photo Added