Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CompnTemp - Compensating Developing Timer

CompnTemp - Compensating Developing Timer

Hi folks,

I think I'm on the verge of purchasing Curt Palm's CompnTemp software package.

http://curtpalm.com/Software2.html

Has anyone on this forum used this product. Is it worth the trouble and expense?

I know it's highly endorsed by Alan Ross who makes a clamp for the temperature probe. I gave up trying to find a Zone VI Temperature Compensating timer.

CompnTemp may even be more versatle. Can it be used to monitor temps for film developing? I would guess probably not.

Thanks,

Don Bryant

45-57-617

Re: CompnTemp - Compensating Developing Timer

Hi Don,

I'm in the process of building a development machine - complete with whirring motors and temperature monitoring. I can give you some advice that measuring temperature to any resolution like even 0.5 C would not be reliable with an off the shelf USB temp sensor. I have my doubts about the ability to read the temp acurately from such a device.

Cheers,

Steve

mitch

hi Don
    i purchused the compntemp after useing it at a week long workshop with alan ross. its the best money i have spent. works like a charm in my dark room in south Ga. the temp all ready is in the high ninties and my darkroom is hard too get below 75 so it is used every day or two . Great product
    mitch

Quote Originally Posted by wager123 View Post
    hi Don
    i purchused the compntemp after useing it at a week long workshop with alan ross. its the best money i have spent. works like a charm in my dark room in south Ga. the temp all ready is in the high ninties and my darkroom is hard too get below 75 so it is used every day or two . Great product
    mitch
    Well I'm in N. GA so I know what you mean about a hot darkroom. Thanks for the information. I may have some questions for you later.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McLevie View Post
    Hi Don,

I'm in the process of building a development machine - complete with whirring motors and temperature monitoring. I can give you some advice that measuring temperature to any resolution like even 0.5 C would not be reliable with an off the shelf USB temp sensor. I have my doubts about the ability to read the temp acurately from such a device.

Cheers,

Steve
    Steve what kind of sensor should I be using with Curt's software? For our application +/- 1F would probably be okay I think.

What kind of machine are you building, BTW?

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McLevie View Post
    Hi Don,

Cheers,

Steve
    here are the specs for the GoTemp probe, the probe used with the CompnTemp software, from the Vernier website ( http://www.vernier.com/go/gotemp.html )

Technical Specifications

* USB Specification: 1.1
    * Range: -20°C to 110°C
    * Maximum temperature that the sensor can tolerate without damage: 130°C
    * Resolution: 0.07°C
    * Accuracy: ± 0.5°C
    * Response time: 4 s (to 90% of full reading in water)

--------------------

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    CompnTemp may even be more versatle. Can it be used to monitor temps for film developing? I would guess probably not.
    It pays to read the documentation, looks like it can be adopted for film development.

Don

mitch

don
    that all i use it for is film as i did at alans. i put ruby lith over the laptop screen and have a couple pices left i can send you if you end up getting curts product.
    mitch

Hi Don,

I can't say enough how great it's been using the CompnTemp. I put Amberlith over the monitor and hung a swinging blackout cardboard in front of it. Curt programmed a starting chime for me so it can be used in total darkness to tray process film. I lose track of the minutes so I found that I can set the number of sheets and a second between sheets gives me 5 bells at the end.

I used to have to run a coil of hose through an ice chest and trickle water into my sink to hold 68* exactly. Now I can (in winter), run the tempering water around 75* and chill/heat the tray to 68*, start the time and it may drift a few degrees over the course of developing but I don't have to closely monitor water temperature anymore.

It's so great to be able to "wipe out" the variability of time and temperature.

Bill

Disclosure: This is my own opinion of a product I purchased with my own money. I also bought a clamp from Alan Ross which is well-made and better-suited to purpose than the c-clamps I tried to jerry-rig at first.

If you developer is at a steady state temp. then you just need a thermometer and the publushed Ilford time-temp compensation chart to figure out your time.