Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Enlarger identification, advice needed

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2

    Enlarger identification, advice needed

    Hello, wondered if anyone knew anything about either of these enlargers. I think the one on the right is a Federal 45, not sure what one on left is. They are up for auction this weekend and I'm wondering if I should bid. I'm hoping to do a series of b/w prints in the next few months using 4x5 and 5x7 negatives. Any advice, experiences, approximate worth, etc., is appreciated. Thanks.
    http://www.millerauctionservice.com/...?crnt=6&type=1

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    4,504

    Re: Enlarger identification, advice needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Acufine99 View Post
    Hello, wondered if anyone knew anything about either of these enlargers. I think the one on the right is a Federal 45, not sure what one on left is. They are up for auction this weekend and I'm wondering if I should bid. I'm hoping to do a series of b/w prints in the next few months using 4x5 and 5x7 negatives. Any advice, experiences, approximate worth, etc., is appreciated. Thanks.
    http://www.millerauctionservice.com/...?crnt=6&type=1
    This is not a large-format enlarger. Looks to be medium format at best.

    I had an old, old Solar diffusion enlarger in 5x7 back in the deeps of time. The reflector for a 5x7 diffusion enlarger will be at least 18 inches in diameter, and good luck finding the proper gigantic enlarger bulb.

    5x7 is a toughie. But true 4x5 enlargers (Omega D2, for example) are just about being given away these days. No need for some antique that you'll instantly have to rewire.

    Rick "who traded the Solar for a D3 Automega" Denney

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north central Pa., USA
    Posts
    318

    Re: Enlarger identification, advice needed

    Unless you are a collector or are stocking a museum, I would "run the other way", IMHO, neither one is worth rehabing for use, especially the 'shake-o-matic' on the left.
    Rick Allen

    Argentum aevum

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    San Joaquin Valley, California
    Posts
    6,774

    Re: Enlarger identification, advice needed

    If you want it to handle 5x7 negs, an Elwood would likely be the cheapest route. For a 4x5 enlarger, D-2s(or D-IIs) are going for so cheap that unless they are giving away that Federal, I'd consider passing on it.
    I steal time at 1/125th of a second, so I don't consider my photography to be Fine Art as much as it is petty larceny.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    967

    Re: Enlarger identification, advice needed

    Those enlargers have little to no value (other than display use)
    OTOH the Bachtold weed mower looks useful.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

    www.photocollective.org

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north central Pa., USA
    Posts
    318

    Re: Enlarger identification, advice needed

    If you like little cameras, theres a Canon 35mm kit in there as well.
    Rick Allen

    Argentum aevum

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver USA
    Posts
    110

    Re: Enlarger identification, advice needed

    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    Unless you are a collector or are stocking a museum, I would "run the other way", IMHO, neither one is worth rehabing for use, especially the 'shake-o-matic' on the left.
    The "shake-o-matic" is a Sears/Tower enlarger dating back to the late 1960s. I bought one just like it when I was 13 years old. I think I paid about $30-$35 at the time. It came with a 6x7 negative carrier if I remember correctly and a cheap 85mm lens. It had a diffusion head courtesy of a piece of flashed opal glass. Those enlargers were marketed under another brand, though the name escapes me at the moment. Interestingly, a large number of accessories were available including a condenser head, supports for long film strips, a good assortment of glassless negative carriers, and heat-absorbing glass.

    While the platform was definitely shaky, there was provision for fine adjustment of the film platform to true it up to the base. The head could also swing to the side to allow horizontal projection and a degree of perspective control. All told, it was a good tool for a kid processing his own 126 (Instamatic) film in the family bathroom. I still have a couple of prints I made with this setup.


    Steve

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2

    Re: Enlarger identification, advice needed

    Thanks for all the responses. Should have mentioned I already have located a 5x7 enlarger. However, I am also looking for an 8x10 enlarger should one be available. I'm trying to talk myself out of it, but the mural prints I've seen from an 8x10 negative are incredible. I'm between St. Louis and Chicago, so if anyone knows of an 8x10 enlarger just taking up space somewhere, I'd be happy to hear about it. And thanks again for all the responses.

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    4,504

    Re: Enlarger identification, advice needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Acufine99 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. Should have mentioned I already have located a 5x7 enlarger. However, I am also looking for an 8x10 enlarger should one be available. I'm trying to talk myself out of it, but the mural prints I've seen from an 8x10 negative are incredible. I'm between St. Louis and Chicago, so if anyone knows of an 8x10 enlarger just taking up space somewhere, I'd be happy to hear about it. And thanks again for all the responses.
    I know there are commercially-made 8x10 enlargers, bug given their cost, I think I would be tempted to try my hand at building my own. These are more practical in horizontal arrangement, and converting an old studio camera for enlarger use might be the cheapest approach.

    If you already have 5x7 covered, I'm back to my recommendation of finding an old Omega D2, which are nearly given away these days.

    Rick "who sold that old 5x7 Solar for $50 back in the day, but still has the Omega in case the darkroom bug ever strikes again" Denney

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    239

    Re: Enlarger identification, advice needed

    If your in no hurry you might get a decent 4x5 enlarger for free. I gave my old D-3 away to a photo student a while back. It had sat collecting dust after I bought a Zone VI enlarger.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

Similar Threads

  1. Projection Petzval - advice needed
    By Simon Benton in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-May-2010, 17:42
  2. 8x10 Enlarger Needed
    By alassphoto in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23-Mar-2010, 22:00
  3. AWB Wind Stabilizer Kit - advice needed!
    By Phil Hudson in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24-Jun-2009, 12:10
  4. first lens advice needed
    By h2oman in forum Gear
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 28-Dec-2007, 11:31
  5. Need advice on buying a good 4x5 enlarger
    By Tyson Fisher in forum Darkroom: Equipment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-Mar-2000, 01:58

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •