Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucigraph ~~ Lacey/Lazy Lucy?

Lucigraph ~~ Lacey/Lazy Lucy?

I do not know if this is the right area of this forum to post this question about an 'antique' Lucigraph.

In the barn on my late Father's property, we came across what my dad use to call a 'Lazy Lucy'. I am 53 years old, and this thing has been around since I can remember. It is this huge black contraption, I believe it was used to maximize or minmize pictures.

My father was a Graphic Artist, and I know he used this in his work, as at the time when he passed away computer graphic's was a relatively new tool.

I need to check the manufacturer name out.

Do people still use these things? Should I donate it or sell it? (that is, if it is worth anything anymore!)

I'd appreciate any input anyone has out there on this thing!

Thanks so much!

Lisa

W K Longcor

Re: Lucigraph ~~ Lacey/Lazy Lucy?

SOME artists may still use a Lacy-lucy. But, indeed - computer assisted art is the way commercial work gets done these days. At the very least, there is probably a usable lens on it that would serve well on a LF camera.

I have a Lucigraph in storage that I've kept for some odd reason. I used it in my early days in publishing. The publisher was going to throw it out, and I grabbed it. It basically is a large ground glass table, where you would tape a piece of tracing paper. Below was a table that you placed original art on. Between the two tables was a lens-board with lens. A crank adjust the distance between the lower table and the lens-board, resizing the art on the lower table on the ground glass on the upper table. You then traced the resized artwork on the tracing paper. It was kind of a cool device in it's day, made totally obsolete in the digital age.

If I remember correctly, mine had a El-Nikkor lens in it. Probably the main reason I kept it.

Brian

I haven't thought about a Lucigraph in many years. After using one in college, I cobbled together a homemade one with an old enlarging lens and plywood. I used it for a while until I gained ready access to a copy camera. I still have the old 190mm Wolly enlarging lens.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

Definitely the wrong forum "Post your own (large-format only) images for sharing and discussion". It sounds like this is a copy camera of sorts.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Hello Everyone - I am looking for a Lucigraph (from 1966 or earlier), and I am in Los Angeles.

Does anyone know where I can find one - to rent or buy. Any help is greatly apprecaited.

Thanks very much,
    Kama Hayes
    kamahayes@yahoo.com

Brian - Do you still have your Lucigraph? Would you be willing to sell or rent it?

Thanks,
    Kama
    Kamahayes@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kamookie View Post
    Hello Everyone - I am looking for a Lucigraph (from 1966 or earlier), and I am in Los Angeles.

Does anyone know where I can find one - to rent or buy. Any help is greatly apprecaited.

Thanks very much,
    Kama Hayes
    kamahayes@yahoo.com
    They're still used and sold in some art supply shops. Don't know why and if you find ones not older than from 1966 (heck, what happened to the Lucigraph construction in 1966?? )

Hi -- I came to this forum VERY late for this thread... just wondering if Kamookie is still around and wants a Lucigraph? I have one and would love to sell it. I am also in Los Angeles! I used it for several years as a graphic designer with Saul Bass just before computers changed the world.
    OOOPS -- just realized I should not be trying to sell on this forum. Sorry -- you may remove this post from the site if you wish. I will try the classifieds in a month. Thanks, and sorry again.

Is this still available Rubie? I would love to have one and am close to LA.