Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Lerebours Serial Number - Rice Writing

Re: Lerebours Serial Number - Rice Writing

Another JFS imported Lerebours lens to-day on the bay. Exactly the same petzval that I have!
    This one has a slightly later serial number (They use Lerebours serial number series) 7081.

I think this is near the end of lens edge numbering - or perhaps just after it stopped.

Obviously, it is now general knowledge that J.F. Shew got his lenses from Lerebours so my bid was well under two others.
    If the winner sees this, it would nice to know whether the lens marking had ceased? Ebay 292276743237.

I have a 15" f5 Lerebours et Secretan lens I acquired recently, serial No. 7799, with matching numbers engraved on the front and rear elements. Any of you more knowledgeable folks have an idea what year this might have been made?

I'll get back to you on this! I await the arrival of the Le reve edition booklet on Lerebours which has just been published in France. I don't know whether it will add to our knowledge about serial numbers, dates and lens scratching, but it might!

Your lens was one of the last to get the lens marking treatment - it was gone by 7900! Not true - see serial number list later in this thread!

Is that the original aperture cup inserted in the lens hood? Most of these were discarded when Waterhouse stops were added after 1860.
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 15-May-2018 at 14:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I'll get back to you on this! I await the arrival of the Le reve edition booklet on Lerebours which has just been published in France. I don't know whether it will add to our knowledge about serial numbers, dates and lens scratching, but it might!

Your lens was one of the last to get the lens marking treatment - it was gone by 7900!

Is that the original aperture cup inserted in the lens hood? Most of these were discarded when Waterhouse stops were added after 1860.
    Thanks for anything you can add to my knowledge of its history, Steven!
    And yes, that is the original aperture cup in the lens hood! Amazingly, the felt is in remarkably good condition as well. After 160 years, the odds of a lens like this surviving at all is astonishing, never mind in such good shape, and with most of its parts!

The lens flares pretty easily, which is to be expected, but renders beautiful values and sharpness when used as a wet plate lens: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4725/2...07d30279_b.jpg

I think it was only Hermagis and Lerebours who used these insert cup apertures. These two may have had some informal co-operation as I have one of each from the same period (late 1850's) and the same size, which are identical in every dimension. The only difference is that Lerebours used a finer thread than Hermagis on lens cells and brass hoods.

Derogy and Jamin used them too, If you are talking about the internal fitting that supported a washer-like stop.

The construction is similar to the between lens insert (which was replaced by the WHS system) and echos the pill box stop system. But it is a cup system - pushed inside the brass hood - which has a mount for various sized washer stops just in front of the front achromat.

It is not surprising that most of these have been lost or thrown away.

You can see the edge of the Lerebours cup in post #32 - with the pipe wrench marks!

My smaller, no number, Hermagis is below , showing construction
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

This is the “cup stop” insert from my Lerebours 15”
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F0669515-13C7-4E22-A6CA-A4FEBC5AEDDE.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	174547 from the front.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	118346D9-5CA6-4604-8E77-2BDAF99C91D9.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	174548 rear view.

The velvet inside the hood is still intact and in surprisingly good condition, for its age! (160 years, give or take)

This has exactly the same profile as the Hermagis cup I have. I think "cup insert" is a good term for them, although I have never seen any written description of the system! Mine has the original felt seal/bearing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    This has exactly the same profile as the Hermagis cup I have. I think "cup insert" is a good term for them, although I have never seen any written description of the system! Mine has the original felt seal/bearing too.
    Steve,
    I’ve seen reference to it being called a “timber stop” also, but I have no idea if this is correct.