Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Poll of forgetfulness — items lost, dropped, or left behind

Re: Poll of forgetfulness — items lost, dropped, or left behind

Last summer on our annual treck to the Gulf Islands I removed the memory card from my wifes DSLR to clear it to a disc and give her a fresh empty card. On day 3 or 4 and likely 100+ clicks of the shutter later she handed me the camera to get a pic of her and her mom I noticed that the little window that tells you how many exposures you have left was blank which reminded me that her memory card was still pluged into my computer at the office.
    .....there is no good way to explain that one

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Walker View Post
    .....there is no good way to explain that one
    A box of chocolates and some flowers is a start. You may not hear much about it now, but remember THEY never forget, (and it will eventually be brought to your attention)!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    A box of chocolates and some flowers is a start. You may not hear much about it now, but remember THEY never forget, (and it will eventually be brought to your attention)!
    Well said Bill. However, in the past two years my wife has forgotten my birthday . I have not said anything yet, but I do intend to use my last two birthdays as my "Get Out of Jail" cards as the occasion warrants.

I just lost my dark cloth, and have no idea how this could happen. It was handsewn and cost my quite some work...
    Thomas Birke
    blog -> http://thomasbirke.com
    portfolio -> http://www.birke.net

Leaving things behind is the story of my life. I left my Leica M6 with a 35mm Summicron in the airport limo in San Francisco and then ran half a block to retrieve it. I never took up skydiving for this reason.

Beverly Hills, California

Two Pocket Wizards ($600)

Sekonic L-358 Light Meter

God, I pray that's the last - ever!

Four years ago, late September, I was about 25 miles outside of Pinedale, WY, probably 6 or 7 miles up a two-track in the Nat'l Forest. Topped a ridge to see the Wind River Range looking lovely in late afternoon light with quaking aspen turning golden in the foreground.

Forgot to set the parking brake or put my Xterra in gear, apparently. I'm twenty yards down the trail with my F5 and 17-35mm in hand when every other worldly item besides my camera and the clothes on my back I've got in the state passes me, going straight downhill. There's a 200 yard shot to the bottom, a nice and relatively smooth but also fairly steep sagebrush hillside, albeit one dotted with 4 foot boulders. I started to sprint after it but realized at the last second before jumping aboard the running boards I'd probably get crushed when it rolled... let it go, let it go...

I did. Truck took a slow left turn-- I know not how-- the rear wheels slewed around, and it starts side-hilling. Even dodged some small pines. Slowed to a stop. 100+ yards and it somehow threaded through all the boulders and brush without a scratch.
    Thereafter dubbed the truck "Eubie" (Eubie just turned over 188K today, as a matter of fact. Two tracking it in Montana this week outside Glacier-Waterton.)

I'm much better about remembering to set the parking brake since!

Wow great story Ivan!

Somewhere near Heather Campsite at the west end of Lake Cowichan is my lens cap. I was setting up for an early morning photo of the lake, with my camera bag open beside me. I heard a noise and turned away from the camera in time to see a crow flying away with my lens cap.

My favorite story of misplaced equipment happened to a friend who waded into a field of sunflowers before sunrise. Set up the tripod and the 35mm camera and started shooting. As the sun came up and the light got better the camera came off the tripod and shooting continued. When he ran out of film, he turned around for the tripod and realized he hadn't a clue where it was. Thrashed around for awhile (now it seemed much harder to move around in the closely packed giant flowers), but couldn't find it. Always wondered what the farmer thought when he came across it at harvest time.