Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: polarized sunglasses for Landscape Photographer

polarized sunglasses for Landscape Photographer

This might seems very strange to ask such question but I believe
    that this must be having effect on landscape photographer vision
    in visualising the final photo.

Should photographer (specially Landscape) wear polarized lens sunglasses
    OR without it

secondly should they wear any shade at all ?

Lachlan 717

Re: polarized sunglasses for Landscape Photographer

As necessary as wearing shoes for me. Just protection from the elements. Nothing to do with photography; I just don't want the UV damage.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I only take mine off to dry focus and the lens polarizer!

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    As necessary as wearing shoes for me. Just protection from the elements. Nothing to do with photography; I just don't want the UV damage.
    +1.

Mine are UV coated, polarized on front, and AR coated on back. Which makes it a whole lot more comfortable to wander about outside with a camera on my back!

I only take them off when I go under the dark cloth.

Hasn't changed my photographs a bit -- just made it possible to make more of them.

Bruce Watson

Lachlan 717

Bruce,

Are you ever seen tilting your head, checking Pol effect via your sunglasses?

I must look like a real nutter to the non-photographer...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

The eye accommodates a limited range of brightness. Within that range, is a smaller range where we can see colors in full fidelity. We wear sunglasses in part, to see within that "sweet spot".

I wear sunglasses outdoors, and use a Zone VI viewing filter too, when judging b&w.

I wear polarized sunglasses that have a slightly warmish tint. They have a huge effect on evaluating a scene. Often something that looks good with the glasses on looks much worse with them off. So the first thing I do after seeing something that looks promising with the glasses on is to remove them and look again. I never go to the trouble of setting up my camera without first removing the glasses. I'd say that about half the time things look sufficiently different with and without them that I end up not making the photograph after I remove the glasses.

Ken's statements are news to me. I'm no optical expert but I've always understood that the human eye can accommodate quite a wide range of brightness, much greater for example than the range of film. I've also never heard about a limited range within which the eye sees "colors in full fidelity" or that wearing sunglasses helps us see within that "sweet spot." But on the very likely assumption that he knows more than I do about the human eye, I won't argue.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    Bruce,

Are you ever seen tilting your head, checking Pol effect via your sunglasses?
    Nope.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    …So the first thing I do after seeing something that looks promising with the glasses on is to remove them and look again. …about half the time things look sufficiently different … that I end up not making the photograph…
    I think this is uncommon wisdom.

And let’s not forget to turn this wisdom around, and ask a question that should come naturally:

When not wearing polarizing sunglasses, should the photographer who comes upon a promising scene put the glasses on and re-evaluate the scene in advance of set-up? >>

Would this also eliminate promising shots “half the time”?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I wear polarized sunglasses that have a slightly warmish tint. They have a huge effect on evaluating a scene. Often something that looks good with the glasses on looks much worse with them off. So the first thing I do after seeing something that looks promising with the glasses on is to remove them and look again. I never go to the trouble of setting up my camera without first removing the glasses. I'd say that about half the time things look sufficiently different with and without them that I end up not making the photograph after I remove the glasses.

Ken's statements are news to me. I'm no optical expert but I've always understood that the human eye can accommodate quite a wide range of brightness, much greater for example than the range of film. I've also never heard about a limited range within which the eye sees "colors in full fidelity" or that wearing sunglasses helps us see within that "sweet spot." But on the very likely assumption that he knows more than I do about the human eye, I won't argue.
    I'm with you on both your points here Brian. Polarizing glasses certainly change a scene very significantly. I do wear them some of the time but certainly make my judgements without them on and if I suspect a polarizing filter is needed then I'll evaluate the scene through that filter. And, I don't really know what Ken means with his comments. Ken, can you help me here ...?