Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo shot with X-ray film

Photo shot with X-ray film

This image of the old Bridge (a favorite subject of mine) was shot with some X-ray film I got as a free sample to try. It is called Blue Sensitive High Speed. I cut it down to 5x7 size from the 8x10 samples I got. I developed it by inspection in HC-110b..worked out to be about three minutes. Exposure was about f45 at 1/4 sec.
    This is reproduced from a scan of the negative, with some curve adjustment applied and a wee bit of sharpening.

Re: Photo shot with X-ray film

Cool. I've been experimenting with X-ray film in my 8 x 10 for some time now. The stuff is cheap ($30 for 100 sheets) and the supply isn't going to dry up any time soon. Having emulsion on both sides leads to slightly soft photos, but I like the look. The base is thicker than ortho films I've used, making it much easier to work with. In addition to various dilutions of HC-110, I've also developed X-ray film in dektol. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brown View Post
    Having emulsion on both sides leads to slightly soft photos, but I like the look.
    I'm curious as to why there's emulsion on both sides. The phosphorous panel in an x-ray machine would be between the x-ray object and the film, correct? Anyhow, this is still way cool. What are good sources for x-ray film (in 8x10). Thanks. Paul
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Metcalf View Post
    I'm curious as to why there's emulsion on both sides. The phosphorous panel in an x-ray machine would be between the x-ray object and the film, correct? Anyhow, this is still way cool. What are good sources for x-ray film (in 8x10). Thanks. Paul
    Emulsion on both sides may be to help build density. The emulsions are not opaque.

A good online source for very inexpensive X-ray film is http://www.cxsonline.com

8x10, 100 sheets is under $27.00.

Can't beat that with a stick.

Here is another shot I took with X-ray film. Old civil war graves.

Is single emulsion sided film noticeably sharper ?
    thanks
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EdWorkman View Post
    Is single emulsion sided film noticeably sharper ?
    thanks
    Ed
    I don't know that there is any "single sided" X-ray film.

It was my impression that the "half speed" film was single coated, and the "High Speed" coated on both sides. Not true?
    regards
    Ed

Actually, it's "high definition" (if industrial film) or "mammography" film (if medical type) that's single sided; it's used in applications where fine resolution and sharpness are more important than maximum density (in mammography, I believe an amplifying phosphor screen is used, technology similar to light amplification only with x-ray sensitive amplifier screens, in order to get maximum definition and enough density to read with a minimal x-ray dose). The "half speed" is just slower emulsion, AFAIK. BTW, there are also ortho X-ray films, intended for use with either blue or green phosphor screens; a full-speed ortho high-def film would be very much like an ISO 50 ortho photographic film, and ought to avoid the softening of the dual emulsion.

I've got a partial box of long-expired Kodak X-Omat film here; I should try to find out which sort it is (blue sensitive or ortho) and what speed, and work on getting it cut to sizes I can use -- should be easy enough under my red safelight. Either that, or trade it to someone with a BIG camera (it's listed as 35x43 cm, which I translate as about 14x17 inches)...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Thanks Don, now I know what to look for.
    I have actually started building a 7x17 box camera.
    The test of my skills is the filmholder. If I can make that work the GG back should be easier.
    I've designed it to match my poor skills and am waiting for my son to cut a couple of pieces of metal with precision so I can do the fill in with wood and glue and putty and a big hammer.
    I hate the thought of spoiling a sheet of HP-5 etc as I attempt to iron out the light leaks etc. so I appreciate very much all the posts about Xray film.