Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Critique Fest

Re: Crititique Fest

And great idea about this sort of thread. I really like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mounier View Post
    Btw, you can just click and drag the pic from your browser to the desktop for edits.Peter
    That was easy -- thanks!

Peter

Marko
    Thanks for your excellent post processing. After reading yours and Vaughn's suggestions, I realize that the picture(s) would be better, but still not good, if it were cut in half and presented as two separate images. It's almost as if my left eye wants to go farther to the left, and my right eye needs more to see on the right. Fairly schizophrenic.

Peter

Btw, you can just click and drag the pic from your browser to the desktop for edits.
    If you're on a Mac with Safari, you can drag the image off the page, onto the Photoshop icon on your task bar (or whichever editing tool you use), and if Photoshop isn't already open, it will open with that image. If it's open, then it will load the image.

In other words, OS X supports full drag and drop, all the way from the browser to the application. It's great for this sort of thing.

Firefox and other browsers, not written in native code (in order to be cross-platform), won't support that. I can't remember if Chrome does or not. I know they use the same WebKit rendering engine, but I'm not sure how they write the rest of the application.

My version to focus on what's in the hole.

I shot this awhile ago, but have never been able to get a good rendition. I am willing to accept the notion that the image is crap, and can't be made to look aesthetically pleasing.
    Did the photo look gorgeous on the ground glass... in color ?

I always use a viewing filter, because I can never adequately "pre-visualize".

What I didn't like about Ken's second shot is that I found the out of focus root (or whatever it was) in the background to be too distracting. Both Vaughn and Ezzie's edits corrected that.

I liked Vaughn's edit of Peter's shot. The previous similar edit (can't remember whose it was) was in the right direction, but had the distracting little light triangle in the upper left. I like the image, and feel the cave of boulders in the upper left of Vaughn's edit balances the brighter arch nicely.

I'll submit something a bit later when I have it ready. This thread is a great idea. I always assumed people would critique my images when I posted them in other image forums, but realized after a bit that that was not the case. I had thought of suggesting a separate forum for critiquing, but never did.

I'm not sure I see the need for a Hasselblad or fancy darkslides. Lately I have cropped over half of my 4x5 shots to square or 6x12. I made a 4x5 viewing frame with an "adjustable edge" that can give me either of those aspect ratios, along with 4x10. When I find the composition I like I just select the appropriate lens and make sure everything I saw in the viewing frame is on the groundglass, then make a note to crop after developing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Could you tell us how you get the Platinum look ? There seems to be a Yellow ingredient in the high values.

I used Picasa and the color temperature function, then backed off on the saturation.

I do like a pure white when called for, but decided that I'd like to represent the flowers with a calming retro effect. The Test1 flower looks like it isn't white anyway, pink perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    If you're on a Mac with Safari, you can drag the image off the page, onto the Photoshop icon on your task bar (or whichever editing tool you use), and if Photoshop isn't already open, it will open with that image. If it's open, then it will load the image.

In other words, OS X supports full drag and drop, all the way from the browser to the application. It's great for this sort of thing.

Firefox and other browsers, not written in native code (in order to be cross-platform), won't support that. I can't remember if Chrome does or not. I know they use the same WebKit rendering engine, but I'm not sure how they write the rest of the application.
    Chrome does, Firefox doesn't.

Dragging to the desktop and then from there on to Photoshop works for all. It seems it has something to do with internal rendering and interim formats used, but that's just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    I liked Vaughn's edit of Peter's shot. The previous similar edit (can't remember whose it was) was in the right direction, but had the distracting little light triangle in the upper left. I like the image, and feel the cave of boulders in the upper left of Vaughn's edit balances the brighter arch nicely.
    It was mine and you are right, Vaughn's crop is indeed better. It also places the hole further off horizontal axis and makes it more dynamic.