Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Critique Fest

Re: Crititique Fest

Well done, Ezzie. Perhaps my version needs more room to breathe like yours does. To change the color of the file in PhotoShop I had to change the mode from grayscale to RBG (or whatever the initials are).

Darkened background, cropped, increased contrast, burned some shadows and brightened edges of some petals, toned. I think that's it. Didn't have time to work on the second one. This was fun, thanks.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Darkened background, cropped, increased contrast, burned some shadows and brightened edges of some petals, toned. I think that's it. Didn't have time to work on the second one. This was fun, thanks.
    Excellent !

MF/LF Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Well done, Ezzie. Perhaps my version needs more room to breathe like yours does. To change the color of the file in PhotoShop I had to change the mode from grayscale to RBG (or whatever the initials are).
    Thanks

I particularly liked yours, the square crop works well. I use it quite a lot. Maybe I should get myself a Hassie?

Ken: The picture certainly has potential to be quite good, with little or no effort. You´ve got the focus plane spot on.
    Ezzie, aka Eirik Russell Roberts
    MF/LF newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzie View Post
    Thanks

I particularly liked yours, the square crop works well. I use it quite a lot. Maybe I should get myself a Hassie?
    I am thinking of modifying a darkslide for my 8x10 to expose just an 8x8 area of the neg (I already have one to get two 4x10's on a piece of 8x10 film). I learned to photograph with a Rolleiflex -- the square is sweet!

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Critique them. Change them. Share your suggestions about how to improve them.

Submit your own photos for critique. It requires some courage.
    Ken
    I'll think I'll take you up on your suggestion to post one of my images for treatment.
    I shot this awhile ago, but have never been able to get a good rendition. I am willing to accept the notion that the image is crap, and can't be made to look aesthetically pleasing.

Peter

MF/LF Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I am thinking of modifying a darkslide for my 8x10 to expose just an 8x8 area of the neg (I already have one to get two 4x10's on a piece of 8x10 film). I learned to photograph with a Rolleiflex -- the square is sweet!
    I´ve got a 6x12 roll film back for my 4x5 P+S, and it has masks for 6x9 and 6x7. Wouldn´t be difficult to make a mask for 6x6. What square gives you is the freedom to not having to envision horizontal vs vertical composition. Work with what you´ve got, it´s quite liberating.
    Ezzie, aka Eirik Russell Roberts
    MF/LF newbie

Peter -- I can't help your image much. I find the problem to be that the viewers' eyes are drawn in two different directions -- to the bright opening and to the sky on the left side. This can work sometimes if the eye is strongly drawn in two or more directions creating tension, but in this case neither are strong enough -- or more likely, strongly to the hole, but distracted by the sky, creating confusion rather than tension.

Cropping down to the top of the hole helps a little (with some burning in on the lower right portion of the image to balance it with the left), but depending what is to the right of the image, a vertical centered more to the right might have worked better. I can't access your image to make the changes.

Vaughn

Peter

Vaughn
    Thanks for your comment. Confusion is a good word, and I agree with you.
    I was hoping that the confusion was just my own, and someone else might see something in it that I can't.

Btw, you can just click and drag the pic from your browser to the desktop for edits.

Peter

Hey Peter,

This is my attempt:

Attachment 41866

Cropped, adjusted global contrast, adjusted local contrast, added (slight) dark vignette, some dodging and burning and a little toning.

Marko