Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing Screen Cezanne

Re: Installing Screen Cezanne

There is 756Mb memory.... but frankly, I don't even know the make of the machine. I have become so accustomed to OSX which I've used since version 10.0 that I no longer remember how to find this out in OS9! It was sold to me as a G4 tower. I had one myself in 1999, and it sure looks similar (graphic, I think the name was).

My first scans of B+W negatives in 6 x 4.5cm format are not shattering, however . In fact, it would seem that scans I made on an Epson 4490 of this format are way better. But I assume that I need to twiddle the settings , and properly convert the output from .eps , which Preview may not render ideally.

I have no experience with Photoshop, and it's on the old G4 only (I have to buy a license myself first, but I'm hesitating between Photoshop Elements and the full version. Point is, I already have Aperture 3, I tried CaptureOne and liked it a lot, but I do not want to have 6 different apps!).

For hints and tips, Peter has a useful section on his blog.

http://peterdesmidt.com/blog/?cat=1

go here and its nearly at the end of the section

Set preferences to tiff and learn how to use the manual controls especially for DR.

Scan B&W negatives as a positive RGB and invert in your editor. I use 16 bit.

The software allows you to create a calibration routine for your favorite E6 film if you have a calibration slide.

Get the manuals, it will make a world of difference.

You will see no difference if you scan at 1000 dpi, a huge difference the higher you go. At 4000 dpi with a medium format shot, you will be blown away.

Epsons need not apply.

bob

Ha, I inadvertently changed one setting (note: I have no table for the heavy Barco monitor yet, which is a really heavy beast. It's standing on the floor, and I'm appropriately kneeling before it.) That setting was the resolution: 300 dpi.

I now did one at 2000 dpi and it is mind-blowing! (Also my first attempt at a night-shot.)

With the manuals something went wrong: the ColorGenius box contains all sorts of Screen manuals, but for AD-210M (Printer?), DTS Scan Plug In, DT-S1030 (which looks like a drum scanner) etc. Not for the Cezanne. But they do have a Screen Cezanne Training Manual, that was given locally, and which is a help. It does not, however, contain all relevant info. For example, what is the maximum dpi? It's not in there.

On the other hand, that Training Manual is very helpful for a novice at scanning like me.

The max spi (samples per inch) in the front to back direction is about 5300 spi, which it'll do over a 1.5" ish strip parallel to the front of the scanner. It's an 8000 element ccd sensor, and that's what limits spi in that direction. Going the other way, from left to right, what controls resolution is the precision of the stepper motors. In this case, those motors allow a very high precision. In the Seybold Report test, they measured up to 5700 spi effective resolution, which was the limit of their ability to test. All that said, there won't be enough info on most films to make such a high resolution worth it.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thank you Bob and Peter for all the helpful information. I delayed my departure to today, just to be able to play around a little bit more, and I am very satisfied with the results I am getting now—despite my as yet still hopeless technique. But I will work on that.