Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega D6 8x10 conversion?

Omega D6 8x10 conversion?

Hi all,

I'm looking for any knowledge on a conversion system to allow for 8x10 enlargements on an Omega D6. I'm currently using a Dichroic II head.

My "problem" is that I live in Hawaii. My mouth waters over pictures of 8x10 enlargers, but I seriously doubt I'll ever be able to find one that swam out here...

I also understand that there might be better 4x5 enlargers to convert, but finding this D6 was already very lucky out here.

My guess is that I'll need a new head and I'll need to fabricate some way to get the head to attach to the column. And then I'll need to fabricate a new lens stage and grab a larger bellows. The lens stage will have to be able to be repositioned and aligned.

Any help (that doesn't involved hopping states(trust me, I've considered it)) would be greatly appreciated.

-Nate

Re: Omega D6 8x10 conversion?

Hmm, I have not seen any thread or pictures of anything like that. The bellows might be a limiting factor even for a wide angle 240mm lens. Perhaps if you keep looking there are some Beselers that could be converted on the Islands

How about using an 8x10 view camera as the basis for an enlarger?

Jon

Check around for military surplus for a large format enlarger, as well as look for a process camera that you could convert into a enlarger. It may be there are more 8x10s in Hawaii than you imagine.

I thought that the only reason for shooting 8x10 was so they could be contact printed on AZO or LODIMA.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Nate,
    Don't give up trying to find a 8x10 enlarger. Be pro-active. List an add in the various island craigs lists such as: ?? 8x10 enlarger ??. You might be surprised. Also call the individual professors of photography at the various colleges and universities - they might have an unused enlarger just waiting for an inquiry from someone such as yourself - or they may know someone who does. Of the three 8x10 enlargers which I found here on the mainland two were in the hands of professors who just couldn't bring themselves to junk them. Good luck!
    -Chris

there was a guy selling home made conversion heads for beselers on ebay a year or so ago. I asked him about one for an omega D2 but he didn't have one made. It was a simple setup and I think you can find pics either here somewhere as I know some members bought his conversion. I asked him what the light source was but he was very vague on that, I think they were cfl's though. Maybe you can get his contact info if a member speaks up.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

I've started a very active hunt and already found one, Zone VI 8x10 enlarger. The seller just wants more money than I currently have, but it is promising that I can get my hands on one even if it means waiting a little longer. I'll continue to search from other sources.

I guess, for now, I'll wait on converting my enlarger or using an 8x10 camera to build up an enlarger.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    there was a guy selling home made conversion heads for beselers on ebay a year or so ago. I asked him about one for an omega D2 but he didn't have one made. It was a simple setup and I think you can find pics either here somewhere as I know some members bought his conversion. I asked him what the light source was but he was very vague on that, I think they were cfl's though. Maybe you can get his contact info if a member speaks up.
    Interesting. In my local search I have found a couple Beselers that might be worth buying with the intention of converting. Especially if they're easier to do. I'll look into this as well.

Start shooting 8x10 now, that way you have motivation to find the enlarger, (and something to print when you do find one).
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org