Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having a hard time taking sunset shots correctly.

Having a hard time taking sunset shots correctly.

I just got into Large format and I have been using medium format for about a year. I took the following cameras with me on a recent vacation: Canon 5D w 17-40, Tachihara with 75 nikon, Holga and Pentax 67 with 45mm.

The best and keepers I got were from my 5d. My Pentax gave me a couple of good ones and so did the holga. The Tachihara light leaked all my shots, I bought it used. I really like using film but I can't seem to nail the sunset shots right. I used hitech filters .6 and .9 grads with a polarizer on my cameras to try to tone down the sunsets and get a nice exposure on the foreground.

With the film cameras I got a dark foreground with a properly exposed sunset. I used an old sekonic light meter for my Tachihara for the exposure. I used the pentaxs' on board light meter. I used velvia 50, fuji 160vc in the pentax and velvia 100f in the Tachihara. What can I do to correct this problem with the film cameras? Is it possible that you cannot get a properly exposed foreground with a sunset. Also note that the sunsets were taken when the sun was almost under that horizon and the color in the clouds were at there peak.

With the 5d I was able to bracket my shots and then I can blend them later in PS. This is the only reason why I like digital. I would really like to nail the film shots. Does anyone have any suggestions. I loved how the velvia 50 film looks on a light board.

Re: Having a hard time taking sunset shots correctly.

To begin with, transparency film does not have a large dynamic range ( about 4.5 - 5.6 stops). Sunsets will require quite a bit of range so if you really want color, use color negative film for those.

No clue which Sekonic you are using. If it is a spot meter for negative film, place the shadow. then meter the highlights to see if you have the range to properly expose the film.

When I use transparencies I meter the highlights and let the shadows go if there is too much range. But over the last couple of years I have moved almost entirely to B&W film. Lots os latitude and control.

Still Developing

Quote Originally Posted by minesix66 View Post
    I just got into Large format and I have been using medium format for about a year. I took the following cameras with me on a recent vacation: Canon 5D w 17-40, Tachihara with 75 nikon, Holga and Pentax 67 with 45mm.

The best and keepers I got were from my 5d. My Pentax gave me a couple of good ones and so did the holga. The Tachihara light leaked all my shots, I bought it used. I really like using film but I can't seem to nail the sunset shots right. I used hitech filters .6 and .9 grads with a polarizer on my cameras to try to tone down the sunsets and get a nice exposure on the foreground.

With the film cameras I got a dark foreground with a properly exposed sunset. I used an old sekonic light meter for my Tachihara for the exposure. I used the pentaxs' on board light meter. I used velvia 50, fuji 160vc in the pentax and velvia 100f in the Tachihara. What can I do to correct this problem with the film cameras? Is it possible that you cannot get a properly exposed foreground with a sunset. Also note that the sunsets were taken when the sun was almost under that horizon and the color in the clouds were at there peak.

With the 5d I was able to bracket my shots and then I can blend them later in PS. This is the only reason why I like digital. I would really like to nail the film shots. Does anyone have any suggestions. I loved how the velvia 50 film looks on a light board.
    Hi Morris,

It is perfectly possible to take pictures during the sunset/sunrise conditions you describe. It would help a lots if you could post a couple of examples of your failures and detail how you metered and what grads you used.

Here are a couple of examples of velvia sunsets under the conditions you describe..

http://www.timparkin.co.uk/gallery/light/21

This first required two grads, a two stop hard for the horizon and a two stop soft across the whole picture

http://www.timparkin.co.uk/gallery/composition/5

A two stop hard grad held back this shot taken 10 minutes after sunset

http://www.timparkin.co.uk/gallery/detail/36

A 3 stop hard grad held back the sky but the light rock foreground helped.

I would highly recommend using a spot filter to meter scenes such as this and trying to get all details in a range from -3 to +2 stops. Typically you would spot meter a point about a couple of finger widths away from the sun (with your hand at arms length) which would usually give you an LV of about 13-14. For most foregrounds, an LV of around 8 or 9 is typical which means you need to use between 3 and 5 stops of grad. If you need more than three stops, I suggests combining a hard and soft grad to create a more beleivable transition (unless there are natural places to place both hard grad boundaries. Don't combine 5 stops of hard grad in the same place if at all possible).

Tim
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com

I definitely agree that using GND filters is a good approach this this with LF cameras. Be careful to select the proper strength of GND though. One of my pet peeves is using too strong of a GND, and getting the sky darker than foreground objects. That is not possible from a physics perspective, and it is something that always jumps out at me when viewing photos.

This can be avoided by using your spot meter to meter the sky and then meter the foreground. Generally (with transparency film with a 5 stop dynamic range) you will want the sky to be 1 or 2 stops lighter than the foreground. So if there is a 5 stop difference, you can use a 2 or 3 stop GND.

Thanks for the help guys. I can't remember how I took the photos. I do have grads. I was using an old sekonic light meter or sometimes my 5d to get an idea. Here is a picture I have taken. The rest of them got lighted leaked.

Tim did you use a 75mm lens for the shots?

What ya
    Maybe you have a metering issue as the sky seems too dark ...if you where using a spot meter it looks like you have taken a reading directly from the sky, if your meter reading was ambient then it looks like, well, a bad reading, either user error or meter error.
    OK, if you are confident with the meter and your ability to use it, did you take in to account film reciprocity failure and bellows extension (not much from a 75mm lens)? There's lots of info on this forum about both.
    Sunsets are tricky to meter, how are your 5x4 shots in 'normal' daylight, correctly exposed? Also don't forget, you can bracket your exposures then scan and blend in Photoshop
    Keep going, keep posting, have fun
    Andy
    PS You didn't put the grads on up-side-down did you? No, course not, silly question.
    'Life is tough, but its tougher when you're stupid' John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by minesix66 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. I can't remember how I took the photos. I do have grads. I was using an old sekonic light meter or sometimes my 5d to get an idea. Here is a picture I have taken. The rest of them got lighted leaked.

This one just looks underexposed all the way around. While it's hard to say anything definitive without seeing the original scene and knowing what's in the foreground, it looks like you may have metered for the sunset rather than for the foreground and then underexposed the sunset (perhaps because you metered off the brightest part of the sunset rather than off the adjacent clouds?).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I like to overexpose the sky and get a halo effect. You can get back lost colour and skies and grad a little with photoshop.
    I spot meter close to the sun and some objects on the ground - I then underexpose the ground by 1 1/2 stops - this still leaves a gap of up to 6 Stops close to the sun, hence the halo becomes a little large, but still manageable.

This for example has been shot on e100g:
    Thomas Birke
    blog -> http://thomasbirke.com
    portfolio -> http://www.birke.net

easy fix is to use a longer lens and then just cut out the foreground when you frame it. in difficult lighting situations i cut out the sky or the foreground if i can. (and/or see below)

a ND filter will help lower the sky values a bit making it easier to get a good exposure. i cut the sky out of this photo. velvia still a bit dark in the lower corner but i did the best i could here. velvia

i do not have access to my sunset photos right now. sorry

also use C41 film to give better latitude.

your digital did no better as you still had to "blend" the photos in PS.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery