Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone see the editor's statement in B&W

Did anyone see the editor's statement in B&W

Oh yeah, btw..making a lithograph is a craft...so is running a little AB Dick press....printing & photography, whether cranking out low-brow publications or limited editions...it's all a craft and a trade....who was iut? Steiglitz?? Who did Camera Work...I work with a guy who does letterpress printing ont the side, and works with solarplate materials as well....it may be "reproduction", but it's also as an art form....

There is Digital now, and there's what digitals gonna be. You are right about who uses it and who should use it, which is of course a different issue than the all too familiar pronouncements about how and why you should be depressed doing what you in fact really love doing because of what digital will be five yrs from now.

If they discover an asteroid that they say may destroy all life on earth in 10yrs, I'll still do what I love doing, I'll hug my wife, I'll use my cameras. Under those dire circumstances, I'd probably intesify all the activities I love to do.

What keeps coming up in this debate is two agendas disguised as one. The concept of digital is the first agenda, the second agenda is the pronouncement so many people make when talking of the first agenda that you should get depressed and give up anything else you're doing if it isn't digital, that it is simply a waste of time. Publishing is different of course.

If someone wants to crunch numbers that's fine, but what does digital innovation mean to somebody who loves to paint? A sculptor? A woodworker?........... Nothing.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Since we are on this tired topic once again, let me draw your attention to the March/April issue of Photovision Magazine and comments made by Carol Williams, owner of Photography West Gallery in Carmel: "Digital images (to date) still feel contrived and lacking in palatable soul. Despite rational arguments that the computer is simply a tool, I am not alone in detecting a cold disturbing, inexplicable void in the final visual result, no matter how superficially beautiful the image may appear at first glance." She certainly is not alone.

By the way, this is a magazine dedicated to photography -- no digital. They will soon be launching a second publication, Digital Fine Arts -- no photography, states the editor.

haha...see, it's a ridiculous, pointless topic to discuss....big deal! But why is it that the discussion is played out--yet again--on computers....if you're so disturbed by the prospect of digital inaging creeping into your life...then donate your computer to charity, or go burn some film...I for one, am going to take a stance against digital by not buying those magazines that take a stance against digital......

People just don't like change! That's really what's going on here - nothing more.

What's happening in the MiddleEast is disturbing, this is nothing, in fact it's really a non-issue, whatever's going to happen is going to happen, the prediictions and pronouncements mean nothing, so my vote is go out and do what you enjoy doing, whatever it is.

Digital is probably a must for Magazines and busy commercial shooters, for everybody else it's elective. I use digital myself as do most of you, and it's great when I need it, but it's expensive and throwaway technology as of this minute.

Common sense rules my buying habits with regards to digital now, not being emotoional, disturbed, or overexcited over some digital hyperbole. The fastest, newest, most expensive widgets don't get my 'mojo' going anymore.

Because any of us disagree with you doesn't mean we're disturbed by digital, on the contrary, I'm fascinated by digital, which is why I have it. I'm excited as hell about where digital might go, I'm just no longer gonna pay SMALL FORTUNES to them until they get it right and a lot cheaper.

Digital is here to stay, but ironically digital equipment doesn't last, in too short a time it becomes worthless, and anybody with any sense recognizes that before his wallet is completely empty.

I paid too much for my printer, it now sells for $49.00! I only have to go through this kind of cycle once to learn my lesson. I've had basically the same system now for 2yr with no late purchases, Oh yes it's very slow, but it's very paid for.

Like you I've taken a stance, for my wallet, I'm no longer seduced by 'bigger', 'faster', and 'better', I make my digital gear that I already have work for me, no matter how old it is, no matter how slow it is, and I know a lot a people who do the same.

My computer is old, about the only thing you could do with it is Donate it, I LIKE THAT.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Whether you choose to photograph in digital or traditional, color or black and white, 35mm or 8x10, shoot portraits or street photography, etc etc is not so important as the end result. When someone is moved by an image or piece of art it's not because they are thinking about how it was made, what tools or techniques they employed but the end result. Is it successful? That's what mattters. I find this continuing mode of discussion of digital vs traditional tiresome and unproductive. Digital is here to stay so just get used to it. There is a place for all modes and styles of photography.

"Pure" digital photography will without any doubt evolve into its own art form. All it takes is for someone to "step up to the plate" and show that it can be done and that digital imaging is unique in its own right.

However, photographers who work in the traditional medium can benefit greatly from the digital revolution. And save both time and money along the way.

F. inst. by scanning negs and do prelim. dodging and burning in the computer before making paper prints from the negs. This saves a ton of time and allows a lot of experimentation as to how the final print may look.

It is also interesting to note that the commercial film industry went through a similar change 10 years ago. The question was if you should you shoot commercials on film or on video. Today the industry has merged the two fields. 99% of all major TV spots are shot on film and transferred to digital media. If commercials are shot on video many videographers try to obtain that special "film look"...

It may become similar with regards to traditional photography and digital imaging.

It's funny.... the folks who are the greatest proponents of digital, namely the commercial photographers, will be the first victims of the new technology. They will go the way of the pencil and rule draftsman, who only 10 years ago was in high demand, but now extinct. Who needs to hire a photographer for the next campaign, when any pimple faced 16 year old with a few years of photoshop can grab the Dcam and snap the shot, or more likely create it from scratch right at the terminal from stock images. Good night boys, rest in peace........

Obviously and understandably the folks at this forum are close enough to both sides of this interesting argument to have opinions and emotions. Me included, very strong ones. But ultimately it is the "end user" who decides. It will be fascinating to see what ten years brings. Will the end user whoever that is decide that a graphic arts reproduction of "something" who knows what, a stream of 1's and 0's is indeed art if it pleases the eye, or will "they" after some time to be educated and digest decide that intrinsic value isn't holding up well and the digital things will make an adjustment downwards. My cystal ball isn't working well, I'll just have to wait and see. My bet is on the traditional processes, each minutely different as created 1 at a time. But then if I had been alive in 1946 my bet would have been on the steam locomotives that could still pull 6 of those silly diesel electric engines backwards.