Thread: Is my Photo Scanner breaking?

Is my Photo Scanner breaking?

I am having more and more problems with my photo scanner (Epson Perfection 4870 Photo). I've had it for about five years, and scanned thousands of negatives without any problems. In the past few months, though, strange imaging artifacts have been appearing on my scans. I lean towards very little image modification on the computer, so I really don't have it doing anything other than scanning the negative straight into photoshop, no crazy color correction or filters etc. Further, this problem seems to only occur when scanning negative film, not slide film. I have run tests scanning the same image at different dpi settings, and the distribution of the errors changes, but they are still present. Another thing that leads me to believe that my scanner is breaking is that the super high res scan options are greyed out now, I can only scan up to 800 dpi. The photos were taken on Kodak Ektar 100 film under natural light. The problems are obvious, a kind of "dropping" of image info around bright areas of the neg, almost like the scanner is getting confused. Sometimes re-scanning corrects the mistakes, but these days it happens too frequently for this to be an option. Is my scanner just breaking, or what? This is my first post on here, so sorry if I'm in the wrong place. I also cannot figure out how to post examples right now. I will work on that. In the meantime, any suggestions?

Octogenarian

Re: Is my Photo Scanner breaking?

I have a suggestion-- it's time to purchase a new scanner.

Look for an Epson V700 or V750.

Preston Birdwell

Have you tried installing the latest scanner driver? While its possible the scanner is on its last legs, it would be a good idea to try a new driver, since it could be a software problem.

What scanning siftware are you using? Epson Scan, Silverfast, VueScan? Knowing that may help us to figure things out.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I am using the latest driver, and am scanning with Epson Scan. I thought that a new driver would solve the problem, but no such luck. I think i am in the market for a new scanner, namely the Epson V700. I've heard good things about this one, and I have a lot of film scanning to do, from my current 35mm negs and slides to 100 year old large format nitrate 3"x5" negs.

owner Hudson Grafik Services Karl Hudson's Avatar

Hi...just wanted to let you know I have high-end drum and flatbed scanners available with delivery, installation, and training included. I only sell Heidelberg brand and these machines have not been mishandled by amateurs moving them (something to watch out for). Let me know if you might be interested in an ultra upgrade with prices starting at $7K... Karl Hudson