Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Tripod Choice

8x10 Tripod Choice

I'm trying to decide on a field tripod for 8x10 and can't make up my mind. I've decided on the Gitzo 1570M head but can't choose between the wooden Ries J 100-2 , the Gitzo CF 1548, or the aluminium Gitzo 1410 or 1500. The tripod will be use d in sand, rocks and forests. I like the Ries but can't be sure that it is large enough for my Deardorff. Help!

8x10 Tripod Choice

The Gitzo G1325 will easily support the Deardorff and it is light. I use it with the 1570M head. The G1548 is overkill.

8x10 Tripod Choice

I use Ries100 with my 8x10 Deardorff.

8x10 Tripod Choice

I use Gitzo G1348 (carbon fiber) with my Toyo 810MII (15+ lbs)in sand and forests. So far, it has been more than adequate. Alex

8x10 Tripod Choice

I have a J-100 Ries with custom extra-long legs and it is plenty strong enough for my 8x10 Deardorff. I like the Ries heads as well.

---

8x10 Tripod Choice

Arthur, I have an elderly Reis A-100 that is the perfect companion for my 8x10 'dorff. If the model Ries you're looking at is an improvement over the A-100 it should give excellent service. Ries telephone # is 206 842 9558. They ought to give you solid information. IMHO dirty enviornments is where wooden tripods really shine. Good Luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

8x10 Tripod Choice

The Ries simply cannot be beat. I also use a geriatric A100 (or the older equivalent) and I can sit on the thing without it flexing. For outdoor use, a wooden tripod is fantastic.

8x10 Tripod Choice

1570 M head with the Gitzo 1548.....love it!!! and I have used it as you in sand, etc and it was great. My Bogen had to be stripped and cleaned when I used it on the sand so it would not rust, the CF I just rinsed it and kept on shooting. Wood will warp in wet weather or sandy beaches, I thought about the Ries but I am happier with the CF.

8x10 Tripod Choice

I have both a Gitzo and a Ries for my 8x10 and find that each has unique and different construction and corresponding application. The J series Ries is not the right one. Go with the A 100. The Gitzo is what I use when I need to go a distance as it is lighter. However, it is modestly susceptable to dust and sand. The Ries is heavier but its real attribute is in the fact that it is very stable and sturdy and the double tilt head is in a class all its own. A 6x6" platform that makes camera adjustments a breeze. Both are great pieces of equipment and you would not go wrong with either. Probably the easiest way to decide is to determine if you are needing to be transporting your 8x10 and equipment a fair distance. I would then opt for the Gitzo. If you will be shooting from a vehicle, weight will be less of an issue and I would go with the Ries. Obviously I do a bit of both.

Unless the finish on the Ries were to be seriously degraded and lacking reasonable maintainance, I would be hard pressed to say that it is susceptible to problems mentioned above with moisture. A light rain is reasonable and it is not a problem. Wipe it down when you are done. My experience has taught me that if the wind is blowing and the rain is coming down hard in all directions, chances are there is not a photograph to be made and you will most likely be honkered down in a safe place with your equipment protected waiting for the event to blow over. All you need to do if it does get wet is to wipe it dry before you put it away. Just plain old common sense.

Good Luck

8x10 Tripod Choice

The G1570M head is a fine thing. I've been very pleased with it. Right now I'm using it on a Bogen 3233 legset (the smallest one that has a geared center column, rated for 17.5 lbs.), but I'm looking to change it for a Gitzo carbon fiber at some point, probably the 1349 or 1549.